Powerstore pre-troubleshooting info

Thread: Powerstore pre-troubleshooting info

Powerstore pre-troubleshooting info

Helllo Cine,
    I have a questions on powersore that should help me decide whether use it or not in the near future.

Let's just say I will use a local mountpoint for /opt and zimbra while using a remote (iSCSI/NFS) mount point for the secondary storage location.
    What happens if there is a network outage and the remote volume becomes unavailable?

Another small question: if I change the HSM policy to bring back on primary what was previously moved to secondary, does that happens automagically os shall I move Blob objects by CLI ?

Thank you
    Bittone

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bittone View Post
    Helllo Cine,

I have a questions on powersore that should help me decide whether use it or not in the near future.
    Hello!

Let's just say I will use a local mountpoint for /opt and zimbra while using a remote (iSCSI/NFS) mount point for the secondary storage location.
    What happens if there is a network outage and the remote volume becomes unavailable?
    In case any Zimbra volume becomes unavailable, the items whose BLOB is stored within that volume will be unaccessible by users and an error message will be displayed to users trying to access one (a "No such BLOB" error IIRC). Being this related to BLOBs only, the items will still be visible and searchable in the Zimbra WebClient, and this will only affect items with a BLOB - so all emails, all files and any contact/appointmen/task larger than 12kb - so usually those with attachments.

Another small question: if I change the HSM policy to bring back on primary what was previously moved to secondary, does that happens automagically os shall I move Blob objects by CLI ?
    HSM is one way only - Primary to Secondary - so changing the policy won't never move items from a Secondary volume to a Primary one. Furthermore, arbitrarily moving selected items between volumes is not possible, as the only "move" operation besides the HSM one is the "doVolumeToVolumeMove" which moves the entire content of a volume into another.

Thank you
    Bittone
    You're welcome!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hi Guys,
    thank you Cine for your quick and complete answer.
    So here is my next question: let's say that I set the policy to 60 days and after some time I change it to 120 days, since some items are already in the secondary store I will not get them back... but will the stores align to the new policy in due time (60 days time in this example) without any other consequences?
    My question is related to the possibility to start using powerstore in order to save space on the primary and, should the policy be too aggressive relax it later in time.
    Thank you

Bittone

Hello Bittone!

Yes, once the policy is changed the volumes will be aligned automatically without any consequences or without any further action.
    Furthermore, you always have the chance to move data between volumes via the "doVolumeToVolumeMove" CLI command I mentioned before, so in case you find your current policy too aggressive you can move back the data to a primary volume and change your policy according to your needs - as usual with no downtimes whatsoever

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Hi Cine,
    thanks for the accurate and fast answer.
    Bye

Bittone

Hello Bittone!

You're welcome, have a great day!

Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website