A few questions about searching via ZxMobile
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: A few questions about searching via ZxMobile

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8

    Question A few questions about searching via ZxMobile

    1. After I setup an account on Android with "Corporate" email, I see my Inbox and folders but there is no search option. Is this something I need to add on the ZxMobile side or is something else wrong?
    2. Will search allow searching across all messages on the server side, or is it only limted to messages downloaded to your device? We're switching from Google Apps, and one of the nice things about Google Apps was the ability to search across all folders on the server very quickly.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    CTO ZeXtras Employee d0s0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    565
    Hi jbwiv and thanks for your contributions.

    You are talking about a feauture of newer ActiveSync protocol versions, ZxMobile now implements EAS version 2.5, but we are testing EAS 14.0 and 14.1 version that are almost ready for release, so stay tuned!

    Have a good night.

    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    Hi jbwiv and thanks for your contributions.

    You are talking about a feauture of newer ActiveSync protocol versions, ZxMobile now implements EAS version 2.5, but we are testing EAS 14.0 and 14.1 version that are almost ready for release, so stay tuned!

    D0s0n
    Thanks for your reply. So are you saying there is no way to search via ActiveSync whatsoever?

  4. #4
    CTO ZeXtras Employee d0s0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    565
    With ZeXtras version 1.8.8 you can search always client side and only contacts of GAL (Global Address list) via ActiveSync (server Side), but if you want to try out the beta features of EAS 14.0 and 14.1 take a look on our wiki.

    I hope we will support newer protocol versions in next version.

    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    With ZeXtras version 1.8.8 you can search always client side and only contacts of GAL (Global Address list) via ActiveSync (server Side), but if you want to try out the beta features of EAS 14.0 and 14.1 take a look on our wiki.

    I hope we will support newer protocol versions in next version.

    D0s0n
    Ok, thanks. Then I definitely have a problem. When I configure accounts for my users on Android, no option to search ever shows up. It's as if the client app doesn't support it, yet I know it does because I use it with an Exchange server as well. Any idea why this might be?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Jay
    Jay is offline
    Code Master ZeXtras Employee
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by jbwiv View Post
    Ok, thanks. Then I definitely have a problem. When I configure accounts for my users on Android, no option to search ever shows up. It's as if the client app doesn't support it, yet I know it does because I use it with an Exchange server as well. Any idea why this might be?
    If you set up an account with ZeXtras 1.8.8 on a stock android you won't be able to search any email on the server cause:
    1) stock android doesn't support it (tested on Nexus with android 4.2, other implementation support it, for example Asus)
    2) by default ZeXtras use EAS protocol 2.5 which doesn't support email search

    However with any EAS version and any device (outlook is the only known exception) support GlobalAddressList (GAL) Search, which is triggered when you write an email, as you write an email address or a name it shows few suggestions.
    If you are looking for a explicit CONTACT search you may try to search using your contact application, for example Samsung devices do a local contact search as well as GAL Search.
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras Suite Developers

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you set up an account with ZeXtras 1.8.8 on a stock android you won't be able to search any email on the server cause:
    1) stock android doesn't support it (tested on Nexus with android 4.2, other implementation support it, for example Asus)
    2) by default ZeXtras use EAS protocol 2.5 which doesn't support email search

    However with any EAS version and any device (outlook is the only known exception) support GlobalAddressList (GAL) Search, which is triggered when you write an email, as you write an email address or a name it shows few suggestions.
    If you are looking for a explicit CONTACT search you may try to search using your contact application, for example Samsung devices do a local contact search as well as GAL Search.
    So stock android doesn't support search on the server. However, doesn't it support search of local, pushed/pulled mail? I don't even have that option...

  8. #8
    Jay
    Jay is offline
    Code Master ZeXtras Employee
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by jbwiv View Post
    So stock android doesn't support search on the server. However, doesn't it support search of local, pushed/pulled mail? I don't even have that option...
    We just tried with nexus 7, unfortunately there is no local email search, we even tried a tablet search: no email was found. Samsung devices instead do support local search.
    You could try to install an external activesync application.
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras Suite Developers

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    We just tried with nexus 7, unfortunately there is no local email search, we even tried a tablet search: no email was found. Samsung devices instead do support local search.
    You could try to install an external activesync application.
    Wow...you are very correct. I just checked again against my exchange server, and no search. Ouch.

    Do you know of any good, external activesync applications?

  10. #10
    The CEO ZeXtras Employee
    Participant
    Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Hi jbwiv!

    I just want to suggest you try to upgrade to the last Zextras Suite 1.8.9 and enable EAS 14 to try the "server search"
    Otherwise, is you want our latest daily build, please take a look to http://forums.zextras.com/zxmobile/6...-feedback.html

    Bests.
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    ZeXtras CEO. Like a Boss.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •