ActiveSync shows e-mail in plaintext instead of HTML

Thread: ActiveSync shows e-mail in plaintext instead of HTML

Question ActiveSync shows e-mail in plaintext instead of HTML

Hi all,
    Since a few days I have running Zimbra 8.0.4 OSE and the Zextra Suite (1.8.7). I have a LG Nexus 4 and my partner HTC Sensation XE. Syncing (over https) is working flawlessly.
    We use the native e-mail app with JellyBean 4.x. All our mail is in plain text with URL-links for the images! I want the e-mail(s) in HTML. I thought I made a wrong configuration but I can't find any option to enable/disable plaintext/HTML.
    I also tried an evaluation with Zimbra Network 8 version and then I receive the (synced) e-mails in HTML with the option to show the images on my Nexus 4.

So there's a difference between the ActiveSync of Zimbra Network edition and the module ox ZxMobile. Or is there an hidden option to enable receive the e-mails in HTML?

TIA

I don't know how to enable "HTML" on my Nexus 4. Didn't find any option on the plain android email client.

On zimbra 8 OSE you can change in the settings of every account or global which should be the default style when creating email.
    The question would be:

Where do you create the HTNL email - on the phone or on zimbra?
    When the phone sends this to your other email account - can you see the mail on zimbra GUI as HTML but as plain text on mobilephone? You should make sure that what you get on zimbra GUI is the same or different than on the phone after syncing to make sure that the "error" is on zextras and not somewhere else.

PS: I have an Google Nexus 4 with Android 4.2.2. If you can tell me how to create an HTML e-mail on the phone I can try it in my environment

Hi again,

I created an HTML formatted E-Mail on zextras GUI. I displayed an image within the email text. I sent this to another zimbra email account and on zimbra GUI I can see it like it should.
    When syncing it to my Nexus 4 I get an E-Mail with the image as an attachment. But I am not sure if this is an ActiveSync problem or an email client problem.

What could be helpful for the developers is when you follow this guide:
    ZxMobile Troubleshooting - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

Enable the account logger on the account.
    Then send an synchronize the email which should be HTML
    disable the account logger and then send - if the developers need it - the log-file to their e-mail account: community@zextras.com
    Do not post the log file here - not sure what sensitive data it could contain.

Thanks for your reply.
    I think you misunderstood me. It's not when sending an e-mail from my Nexus 4 but the received e-mails on my Nexus 4.
    I wanted to upload the 2 screenshots but I can't upload images into this thread but only using an URL
    I looked in google and found a some pictures.
    This is what I see on my Nexus 4 when I receive an e-mail from Zimbra 8 Open Source Edition with ZxMobile:

This is what I see on my Nexus when I use Zimbra 8 Network Edition (with it's EAS implemtentation):

As you can see the first e-mail is plaintext with URL's of the images and the second one is in HTML. Both are with the same (stock) e-mail client on my Nexus 4.

Hopefully this clear it out a bit...
    Last edited by fobe; 06-15-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Thank you for your reply. Even if I was a little bit unclear in my last post I understand what you mean.

I have the same behaviour on my Nexus. Now we need to wait for a statement from the zextras developers

---- edit ----
    Found the solution:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...son-table.aspx

This is a feature of higher ActiveSync versions so it will be probably supported soon in newer zextras mobile versions. They are working on the most recent EAS version 14.1 which should support that.
    Last edited by Nachtfalke; 06-16-2013 at 06:57 PM.

thank you too for your reply
    I hope it will be released very soon. For myself it's a "showstopper" to move to Zimbra 8.x
    I don't want to push the developers but have the developers an ETA when releasing EAS 14? Is it a few days, weeks or months?
    Last edited by fobe; 06-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello fobe,
    welcome to the forums!

HTML emails are currently supported by ZeXtras Mobile (and by the EAS protocol version 2.5), but the way HTML messages are handled depends solely on the client.
    Clients like iOS' mail app ask the server for the raw message regardless of the protocol version and autonomously decide whether to display the HTML message 'as is' or to fall back to the plaintext version of the message, while the vast majority of the Android clients ask the server for the plaintext version of the message if version 2.5 of the EAS protocol is in use.

EAS14 support is currently in beta stage, if you wish to enable higher protocol versions for your account you can do so by adding an "EAS Filter" with the following command (as the 'zimbra' user)

Code:
    zxsuite mobile doAddEASFilter account user@domain.com 2.5,14.0,14.1
    You will then need to delete and create the account on the device in order for a completely new sync to be established with the new protocol version.
    This way, the device will choose the protocol version to use (usually newer versions have a higher priority then older ones)

If you wish to revert back to the standard config, use the `getALLEASFilters` CLI command to identify the unique ID of the rule you added and the `doDeleteEASFilter` to remove the filter.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hi Cine,

Thanks for your reply. I enabled the enhanced EAS and here are the first results:

- The Nexus 4 (native e-mail client) gives me the option to download the images and is in HTML.
    - Nexus 4 with Touchdown gives (with the same e-mail) the following: "-- Error getting HTML view. Please wait while a Text version is fetched --". But I have the option "Download entire message", when I "click" on it, the entire message, in HTML and with pictures is retreived.
    - The next device is a HTC Sensation XE (beats). The native email client (HTC Sense) is (still) receiving the (same) email in plaint text with URL's to the images.
    - HTC Sensatation XE and installed the app "Enhanced E-mail" and this app allows to receive e-mails in HTML format and displays the e-mail in HTML with the option to sync the images.

In Zimbra I see that Touchdown (Nexus 4) and the HTC are using EAS 2.5 and the native e-mail client on the Nexus is EAS 14.1

It seems that HTC Sense (GUI) has it's odd way of receiving e-mails. I don't know why but maybe some forum members has an HTC and can explain it...
    If you want me more to test, please let me know.

cheers
    Last edited by fobe; 06-17-2013 at 08:13 PM.

The CEO ZeXtras Employee
    Participant
    Hi fobe!

I just want to suggest you try to upgrade to the last Zextras Suite 1.8.9 and enable EAS 14 to solve your HTML/TEXT mail issues.
    Otherwise, is you want our latest daily build, please take a look to http://forums.zextras.com/zxmobile/6...-feedback.html

Bests.
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

ZeXtras CEO. Like a Boss.