Client certificate support

Thread: Client certificate support

Client certificate support

Hi,

I've just came accross the Zextras website, and all looks very promising. For me especcially the Zxmobile is interesting. I will install a trial soon.
    However I was wondering if there is support for authentication using client certificates? I couldn't find anything about this.
    I also administer an Exchange environment. Client certificates on mobile devices works very nice and increases security (which always is a good thing offcourse). Also, when users change their passwords, the device keeps syncing without modifications.

I've found this link about Zimbra: Gautam-Notes - Zimbra :: Wiki
    But will this also help enabling certificate auth for zxmobile?

Thanks in advance.

Hugo

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello hrodenburg,
    welcome to the forums!

Due to a number of complications in implementing such feature, among which there is the need of a dedicated port (see sect. 5B of the guide you linked) while most mobile phones don't allow to select a connection port for EAS accounts, authentication through a client certificate is not available within ZeXtras Mobile.
    We are aware that this is a really interesting features, but right now it is not one of our development priorities.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hello Cine,

Thanks for the quick and clear answer!
    Since it was not mentioned anywhere, I suspected already this is currently not possible.
    If implementing on the same port (443) is not possible, perhaps another possibility could be to use another (dedicated) IP address. Personnally I'm not a big fan of using non-default ports for services. Either way, I would like to vote +1 for this feature on the whishlist .

Thanks again.

Hugo

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrodenburg View Post
    Hello Cine,

Thanks for the quick and clear answer!
    Since it was not mentioned anywhere, I suspected already this is currently not possible.
    If implementing on the same port (443) is not possible, perhaps another possibility could be to use another (dedicated) IP address. Personnally I'm not a big fan of using non-default ports for services. Either way, I would like to vote +1 for this feature on the whishlist .

Thanks again.

Hugo

Hello hrodenburg!

Activating certificate authentication on the default port is possible, but it would interfere with other authentication methods making it the only possible secure authentication method possible... It's true that setting up a separate IP address and then forwarding requests to the proper server/port is a possibility, but would require some "external" configuration or prerequisite in order to be functional, and this is something that's against the design model of ZeXtras Suite and of ZeXtras Mobile in particular.
    We are surely interested in implementing such a feature, and the best way to +1 this feature in our development schedule is to open a feature request on the ZeXtras Bugzilla in order for other people to discuss and show their interest...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

If others are interested, I've opened an request for this feature. This can be found here: Bug 75 ? Client authentication using certificate [X.509]