ETA on Shared Calendar Sync
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ETA on Shared Calendar Sync

ETA on Shared Calendar Sync

In the FAQs for the latest 0.87 release, it indicates that Shared Calendars will "soon" be available. I have also found that the Beta version 1.5 still does not support syncing Shared Calendars. And in a post on 01/19/2012, Cine indicates that "the Android Calendar application only synchronizes the main calendar" and that "[They] are currently trying to find a workaround for this, but being a limit imposed by the operating system I can't give any ETA on a solution"

Has there been any progress on this feature? Will this be a feature released in the 1.6 version?

Syncing a shared calendar to a Mobile device is the only thing holding me back from installing Zimbra and the ZeXtras Suite. I would very much like to see this feature.

References:
    ZxMobile FAQ - ZeXtras Suite Wiki
    http://forums.zextras.com/zxmobile/1...e.html#post359

Hi lieutdan13.

Quote Originally Posted by lieutdan13 View Post
    In the FAQs for the latest 0.87 release,
    Just to clarify, I think you read the upper-right box on the FAQ page. The version 0.87 is erroneously reported as first Zextras version with ZxMobile module. I've just update that statement in "[ZxMobile] Available since ZeXtras version: 1.1.0".
    However the FAQ on Shared folders was added in February, when we have planned to this enhancement.

it indicates that Shared Calendars will "soon" be available. I have also found that the Beta version 1.5 still does not support syncing Shared Calendars. And in a post on 01/19/2012, Cine indicates that "the Android Calendar application only synchronizes the main calendar" and that "[They] are currently trying to find a workaround for this, but being a limit imposed by the operating system I can't give any ETA on a solution"

Has there been any progress on this feature? Will this be a feature released in the 1.6 version?
    The new code was writed and quite tested but the release of this feature has been delayed after the ZxAdmin module (V.1.8 is expected by the end of the year). This choice is mainly due to the complexity of managing Zimbra shares (even multiserver environments) without compromise the well running code.

Syncing a shared calendar to a Mobile device is the only thing holding me back from installing Zimbra and the ZeXtras Suite. I would very much like to see this feature.
    We will be glad to add another beta-tester on the list

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Thank you for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    Where do I sign up?

We keep the list, you just need to express your will to do it ...if you want

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    The new code was writed and quite tested but the release of this feature has been delayed after the ZxAdmin module (V.1.8 is expected by the end of the year). This choice is mainly due to the complexity of managing Zimbra shares (even multiserver environments) without compromise the well running code.

On top of being a BETA tester, I'd also like to help out with development on this feature, if you are willing. I've spent the morning looking at the Java classes and I have not been able to locate the portion of the code where it is excluding Shared Calendars. Would it be possible to enable the feature in read-only mode or is it still complicated? Would it be also be possible to enable the feature for only single-server environments?
    Last edited by lieutdan13; 09-26-2012 at 05:38 PM.

I've spent the morning looking at the Java classes and I have not been able to locate the portion of the code where it is excluding Shared Calendars.
    Well, I guess in doing this, I have violated section 2.2.3 of the EULA. Please accept my apologies. I had better stop...
    Last edited by lieutdan13; 09-26-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added apology

The CEO ZeXtras Employee
    Participant
    Hi lieutdan13,
    I'm honestly very pleased to see such interest !
    I'm sorry you've spent the morning on the wrong code :-) (let me say so)
    The Shared Items related code is on a separate branch because is a full rewriting of mobile module.
    As soon as we released 1.6 version with zimbra 8 support and ZxChat (and many other cool things like Activesync 12 ) we will work on the 1.7beta with ZxAdmin module.
    After released 1.8 stable we want to release ZeXtras 2.0 with some core rewritings included Shared Items Sync .

So please, if you like our project help us with testing sessions, feedbacks and suggestions.
    We love work with our users all around the world.

ZeXtras CEO. Like a Boss.

Bit off subject

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Hi lieutdan13,
    I'm honestly very pleased to see such interest !
    I'm sorry you've spent the morning on the wrong code :-) (let me say so)
    The Shared Items related code is on a separate branch because is a full rewriting of mobile module.
    As soon as we released 1.6 version with zimbra 8 support and ZxChat (and many other cool things like Activesync 12 ) we will work on the 1.7beta with ZxAdmin module.
    After released 1.8 stable we want to release ZeXtras 2.0 with some core rewritings included Shared Items Sync .

So please, if you like our project help us with testing sessions, feedbacks and suggestions.
    We love work with our users all around the world.
    Hi

I am a sysadmin for a smallish company that is looking towards zimbra+zextras as a email+sync options. We would like the shared calendar options also, if you need any testers for feedback and such just give me shout.
    d0s0n likes this.

Hello!
    We are just running the 30 day trial and where disapointed that the shared calendars/contacts are not accessible via mobile devices.
    Hence we are looking forward to see this feature as soon as possible.
    We don't require any multiserver features for this. We are also a small company with a "default" zimbra OSE setup.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    After released 1.8 stable we want to release ZeXtras 2.0 with some core rewritings included Shared Items Sync.
    Ok. Now that ZeXtras 1.6.4 is released, we have been using it for a number of days in our live environment. I(we) are anticipating the release of 1.8. Is there someplace I can find the new improvements going to be in 1.8 and do you have a ETA on that release?

I plan on installing a testing environment with Zimbra 8.0.1 (or the latest) on Ubuntu 12.04 which will be used for testing upgrades to Zimbra itself and upgrades to the ZeXtras zimlet. I look forward to seeing what's in store for the ZeXtras package and added capabilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast