Calendar sync seems to be limited

Thread: Calendar sync seems to be limited

Calendar sync seems to be limited

Hello,

I'm using Zextras 1.2.5 on Zimbra 7.1.4.
    My phone is a Samsung Galaxy SII running Android 4.0.4 under CyanogenMod 9-20120329-NIGHTLY-galaxys2.

I know what Cine will say about Cyanogen Nightly, but it's very stable so far ;-)

The problem I've encountered is the apparent limitation on numbers of calendar event which is sync to the phone.
    When I browse 3 weeks forward or next month, I can see only recuring events but no non-recuring ones.

Switching sync days (I believe this is just for email) to "One month" or "All" is not a solution for me as the amount of data to sync is too big (lot's of emails).

What do you think I should do ? Any tweak ? Or report the bug ?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Marcet!

I'm actually a big Cyanogen fan, it's just that combining the words "nightly build" and "work phone" makes me itchy

Anyway, the sync days option is valid for both emails and calendar...
    You can check your /opt/zimbra/log/sync.log file for a line like this:
    Code:
    Ping: Getting items older(or newer) than 31 days for type: 11 on folder: /Calendar
    Recurring events, on the other hand, are handled differently by different clients, and Android's stock calendar app usually shows them all regardless of the sync timespan.

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    I'm actually a big Cyanogen fan, it's just that combining the words "nightly build" and "work phone" makes me itchy
    I understand. I'm very careful of which nightly I install on my phone ;-)

Anyway, the sync days option is valid for both emails and calendar...
    Arf. Is there a way to sync all calendar events without setting all for mails ?

Because, when I tried to have "All synced", The phone gave up after 3 000 mails, and restarts syncing again :-(

Do you think I can configure several accounts on my phone ?
    1 for mail and contacts.
    1 for calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcet View Post
    Do you think I can configure several accounts on my phone ?
    1 for mail and contacts.
    1 for calendar.
    Unfortunately mail synchronization can't be disabled on android's Exchange account, so this is not viable

Unfortunately mail synchronization can't be disabled on android's Exchange account, so this is not viable
    But there is a checkbox for email sync.

The other solution I see is using ActiveSync for mail sync via ZxMobile.
    And use CalDav for Calendar and CardDav for contacts (which offers tag grouping and less limitations for pictures).

Quote Originally Posted by Marcet View Post
    But there is a checkbox for email sync.
    I was unaware of this, usually such checkbox is unavailable in Android's default client (while it is with other clients/interfaces such as HTC's Sense)..
    Then, your double-account idea might be the solution

I'll give a try.

I just hope there will be no deviceId mismatch.

Ok, just done it....

...but sadly it doesn't work :-(

I succesfully create the first account with only mail and contacts.
    After the sync was complete, I tried to create the second account.

Android let's me do this, but at the end of the process creating an account just for calendar...
    I realized that it make a fusion between the two account into one with just calendar sync checked.

So the only way for me to get that done is to use CalDav for calendar :-(

I hope that the Zextras dev team will find a solution in the future.
    Sadly Android is not a efficient as iPhone is for enterprise data.

Hmmm..
    Current options I see right now are:

- use Touchdown client for everything (paid, 30-day trial available, lets you choose different sync periods for mail and calendar)
    - use K9 client for email and default clients for the "sync" account (free, IMAPpush, lets you create a separated account for mail)
    - UNTESTED: try using the full email address for your "email" account and an alias as the username for the "sync" account

Just out of curiosity, were you on a Wi-Fi connection when you tried to sync all emails?

Have a nice day,
    Cine

- use Touchdown client for everything (paid, 30-day trial available, lets you choose different sync periods for mail and calendar)
    - use K9 client for email and default clients for the "sync" account (free, IMAPpush, lets you create a separated account for mail)
    I've tested both of them in the near past, but I don't like their interface.
    My wish is to use the genuine ICS mail, calendar and contact clients, which are very well designed.

- UNTESTED: try using the full email address for your "email" account and an alias as the username for the "sync" account
    Might be an idea indeed. I'll test that with an emulator, just don't want to ruin my present config.

Just out of curiosity, were you on a Wi-Fi connection when you tried to sync all emails?
    Yes I was on wifi. It seems that passing a given number of mails, something get overflowed.

I've configured my phone that way for now :

ActiveSync for e-mail to be able to have push mail.
    CalDav for Calendar thru "CalDav - Sync" with 10 min refresh.
    CardDav fo Contacts thru "CardDav - Sync" with 1 day refresh.

That's also a way to bypass the ActiveSync limitations for contact pictures and shared calendars.