Zextras Mobile + Blackberry
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By powrrrplay

Thread: Zextras Mobile + Blackberry

Zextras Mobile + Blackberry

We are fresh Zimbra users (OSE) for abouth one month and i was looking for some estensions to install (mainly ZeXtras Backup) but this one can be interesting too
    Our users use only the webmail but i got two of them with a blackberry reading the mail trough BIS service that don't sync contact or calendar.

On the ZeXtras mobile it's reported as tested device BlackBerry with AstraSync ZxMobile, so mean that for a full working solution i have to pay licences for both (AstraSync + ZxMobile) right?
    But ZxMobile could be enough to sync calendar and contacts with an Outlook installation and then to the device trough the BlackBerry desktop software ?

Regards
    Davide

Hi Davide and welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by davidesjhs View Post
    On the ZeXtras mobile it's reported as tested device BlackBerry with AstraSync ZxMobile, so mean that for a full working solution i have to pay licences for both (AstraSync + ZxMobile) right?
    Right! You have understood! You must use an ActiveSync client to sync any device with the ZxMobile module.

Quote Originally Posted by davidesjhs View Post
    But ZxMobile could be enough to sync calendar and contacts with an Outlook installation and then to the device trough the BlackBerry desktop software ?
    ...perhaps not entirely!

ZxMobile implements the ActiveSync protocol (only 2.5 yet) but Outlook can use only MApi or RPC, so isn't possible to sync calendar and contacts with it.
    For more info you can search here.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Active Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Just in case anybody is wondering, the Blackberry 10 OS with activesync is working very will with Zimbra 8.0.2 and Zextras mobile 1.8.3
    d0s0n, Cine and Zeus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by powrrrplay View Post
    Just in case anybody is wondering, the Blackberry 10 OS with activesync is working very will with Zimbra 8.0.2 and Zextras mobile 1.8.3
    Have you test with reply/forward with large attachment? It seems BB10 is not support SmartReply and SmartForward features of EAS. It eats lot of data and is expensive esp. when roaming that makes us to switch back to BES instead of Active Sync.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley.tam View Post
    Have you test with reply/forward with large attachment? It seems BB10 is not support SmartReply and SmartForward features of EAS. It eats lot of data and is expensive esp. when roaming that makes us to switch back to BES instead of Active Sync.
    Hello Stanley!

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to run an additional batch of tests before giving a final response, and I confirm that neither the SmartReply nor the SmartForward commands are used by the default BB10 email client...
    I tried to download and test Touchdown for Smarphones, but it looks that the BB10 version is just not as good as the Android one (can't even finish setting up the account).

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hi Cine,

Surprisely even iOS seems not likly supporting SmartReply nor SmartForward. That makes us no choice but returned to BES not ActiveSync.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley.tam View Post
    Hi Cine,

Surprisely even iOS seems not likly supporting SmartReply nor SmartForward. That makes us no choice but returned to BES not ActiveSync.
    Hello Stanley!
    IIRC iOS does indeed support SmartReply/SmartForward, can you please tell me the exact version you are using?

UPDATE:
    I had a talk with our Master of the Protocol
    He said that on iOS the "SmartReply" will be used by default "unless the phones randomly decides not to do so" while the SmartForward will only be used if you don't remove the attachments from the message

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 07-03-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

when try to reply / forward by using iPad (ios6.1.3), there is an option to include the attachment. It takes while to download whole attachment then build a mail for replying.