IOS 9.1 issue with Attachments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IOS 9.1 issue with Attachments

IOS 9.1 issue with Attachments

Hi,

several Iphones with IOS 9.1 are experiencing high data usage because Iphone automatically downloads full attachments regardless clients settings (not to load external images etc)

Zextras mobile settings are set to:

email text size : 6kb
    HTML mesages: enabled
    Html message size: 10kb

Attachments are always automatically downloaded regardless of size or type. Can you please advise how to stop automatic downloading of attachments?

Configuration:

Zimbra server:NE 8.6 patch 4
    Zextras mobile 2.0.4

Regards
    Last edited by mat911; 12-08-2015 at 02:33 PM.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello mat911!

The compliance to Mobile Device Management policies is client-driven, and according to our tests those are sometimes overridden even on clients which fully support MDM - e.g. the newest iOS versions will always download attachments when connected to wifi networks regardless to the policy defined server-side...

Just a couple of questions to get a better idea of what's happening:
    * Does this issue happen on all iOS 9.1 clients or just on an identifiable subset of those?
    * Does the data traffic info in "Settings" -> "Cellular" confirm that the highest data usage comes from the email client?
    * Is the behaviour the same under both wifi and cellular network?
    * Did you set the MDM policies at COS- or Account-level?

In order to fully investigate the case, a full Account Logger file for one of the affected devices could shed some light - could you please:
    * Delete the mail account from an affected device.
    * Remove the appropriate entry from the device list on the ZxMobile section of the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet.
    * Enable a debug level Account Logger on the relevant mailbox.
    * Create the account on the device.
    * Let the first sync complete and reproduce the issue (a 1-hour timespan would be great).
    * Send the log to community@zextras.com mentioning the URL of this thread in the subject.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hi Cine,

thanks yours and please note as follows:

- Happens to ALL 9.1 devices and to one 9.2 (updated yesterday). It DOESN'T happen to one 8.4.1 ios device .....
    - Confirmed high data use to Exchange services. I actually verified that by resetting data counter and sending one email with 5mb attachment and immediately Iphone registered 5mb of exchange data use.
    - It is the same behaviour both under wifi and cell network
    - MDM policies set on account level

Looking forward to your feedback to this important matter.

Regards
    Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello mat911!

The compliance to Mobile Device Management policies is client-driven, and according to our tests those are sometimes overridden even on clients which fully support MDM - e.g. the newest iOS versions will always download attachments when connected to wifi networks regardless to the policy defined server-side...

Just a couple of questions to get a better idea of what's happening:
    * Does this issue happen on all iOS 9.1 clients or just on an identifiable subset of those?
    * Does the data traffic info in "Settings" -> "Cellular" confirm that the highest data usage comes from the email client?
    * Is the behaviour the same under both wifi and cellular network?
    * Did you set the MDM policies at COS- or Account-level?

In order to fully investigate the case, a full Account Logger file for one of the affected devices could shed some light - could you please:
    * Delete the mail account from an affected device.
    * Remove the appropriate entry from the device list on the ZxMobile section of the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet.
    * Enable a debug level Account Logger on the relevant mailbox.
    * Create the account on the device.
    * Let the first sync complete and reproduce the issue (a 1-hour timespan would be great).
    * Send the log to community@zextras.com mentioning the URL of this thread in the subject.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello Matt!

Could you please send me the log I mentioned? There are several different possible causes of this, from client issues to item looping, and it'll help to better investigate what's happening...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

I was wondering is anyone else is having the same issue with IOS 9 devices or is it just me??

Email attachments get auto downloaded irrespective of size or users interaction (Tap to download). This is causing high data use on devices and low battery life.

Anyone else??

Regards

I have exactly the same problems with IOS 9.2. very high data load and a very low battery Laufzeit.In eight hours consumed the iPhone 30% Akku.Ist not normal. Android there are no problems.

I hope there will soon be a solution for it!

Regards
    Falkes

Hi Falkes
    I am surprised that this serious issue with IOS 9 devices is not reported by others as well. I don't know if the problem is with Zextras or with IOS but we need to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Anyone from Zextras team has notice this problem? Is it investigated?

Thanks

Hello mat911!

As mentioned in another thread, we are monitoring and investigating several different iOS9 client misbehaviours: unfortunately the number of reports is very low, and not all issues can be constantly reproduced, and as usual when dealing with client issues it's vital to find the specific circumstances in which the issue appear in order to apply a serverside workaround (if possible)...

If anyone experiences this problem please open a support request at ZeXtras Support Portal mentioning all of the information found in section 3.1 and 3.7 of the "How to report a ZeXtras Suite issue" guide and attaching a "debug" level Account Logger logfile to it - I'll submit all the reports to the Devs right away!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello again

any updates on this issue with exchange attachments being autodownloaded????

Is support team aware and/or dealing with this ?

Regards

Hello mat911!

We're indeed investigating the issue but the behaviour is erratic and we couldn't find a specific pattern to reproduce it on our test environments yet: if you and anyone who encountered this issue could please open a support ticket on the ZeXtras Support Portal and send the information and logs I mentioned in my last post I'll submit those to our Dev Team in order to help with the investigation... Make sure to be on cellular network before reproducing the issue after activating the account logger as usually iOS devices automatically download attachments when connected to a WiFi network, and turn off the "Download images" option in the "Mail" section of the "Mail, Contacts and Calendars" setting menu.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast