ZxMobile and Android phone setup

Thread: ZxMobile and Android phone setup

ZxMobile and Android phone setup

Hi All,

I have a Zimbra 7.2.2 FOSS edition server running and I have installed ZeXtras Suite 1.8.18 today. I am targeting to use the ZxMobile for testing the Calendar sync for iOS and Android.

I have the following smartphone OS:
    1. iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1)
    2. iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1)
    3. Samsung Note 2 GT-N7105 (Android 4.4.2)
    4. Samsung Note GT-N7000 (Android 4.1.2)

I have configured the account on both the iOS and Android and I noticed that :
    1. On the iPhone, I turn off the Mail and Contacts but leave the Calendars and Reminders on. When I create an event on iPhone with invitees, when the event is synced to the server, the invitee got the invitation notification on the other iPhone.
    2. On the Android, I turn off the Mail and Contacts but leave the Calendars and Tasks on. When I create an event on Android with participants, when the event is synced to the server, the event is registered in my account but the participant did not get any invitation notification on the other Android phone.
    3. For item 2, when I go to the setting and turn on the Sync Email, then did the invitation show up on the participant's calendar.

Why do I want to do this?
    The reason is that my company uses IMAP so my users can use that for configuring their email client. I have searched for quite a number of CalDAV sync client on Android but they cannot do the notification of invitation. Also I do not want to have 2 account on the Android doing the same function and running the ActiveSync for the email portion.

Is there some configuration that I need to do so that I do not have to turn the Sync Email on, on the Android in-order for the notification of invitation to work?

Regards.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Paladinemishakal!

Unfortunately the behaviour you describe is device-driven, so ZeXtras Mobile doesn't have any control over it...
    May I ask why keeping an IMAP account set up along with the Exchange ActiveSync one? By doing so you're keeping 2 parallel processes active and missing out some very important features such as push mail and appointment responses...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hi Cine,

All our users are using the IMAP function of our mail servers for their mail client and we thought that the Calendar function is all that is needed to be configured on the Android device but with this discovery, we now know the problem with the Android device. That is why I want to find out if there is a way to use IMAP for the email and ActiveSync for the Calendar but minus the extra ActiveSync mail process.

Regards.

Hi All,

In my organisation, due to work requirements, the user have got to access email account other than their own. To get around this, I mounted the email account into the user's account. This way the user will be able to see all the folders and calendar that the mounted email account has (when using Thunderbird or webmail on PC).

Now the problem is that when I configure the ZxMobile on the user's iOS or Android phone, I do not see the mounted email account (when the Sync Mail and Calendar is turn on) but when I use the iOS and Android email client with IMAP connection, I can see the mount email accounts. Is this a limitation by the ActiveSync protocol?

I then search the internet and found this about how calendar delegation works in Zimbra 8 (Changes to how Calendar Delegation works in Zimbra 8 - Zen Systems Ltd).

Regards.

Hello Paladinemishakal!

The Exchange ActiveSync protocol does not natively envision concepts like "shares" or "acls", but we are working on this in order to add share capabilites to ZeXtras Mobile. This feature, known as "Remote Operations" will be added in ZeXtras Suite 2.0.

The "Calendar Delegation" feature you mention, on the other hand, is related to the CalDAV protocol and is not related to ZeXtras Mobile.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hi Cine,

So to say is that Exchange ActiveSync whether is it email or calendar function do not natively allow "shares" or "acls" whereas using the CalDAV protocol, yes it is supported.
    That leave me to think, so is ZxMobile using only ActiveSync or does it support CalDAV to connect to my zimbra server (Pardon me if I am asking stupid question)?

Regards.

Hello Paladinemishakal!

ZeXtras Mobile relies on the Exchange ActiveSync protocol, while Zimbra itself features CalDAV and CardDAV capabilities...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team