ZxChat in large deployment

Thread: ZxChat in large deployment

ZxChat in large deployment

Hello,

I'm Zimbra administrator in an university with more than 80,000 accounts.
    We have deployed 13 zimba stores.

ZxChat operates in a multi-server environment ; is it reasonable to install it in this infrastructure?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Vincent,
    welcome to the forums!

I'm aware of a couple of infrastructures hostin several thousands of users spread upon 7-8 store servers using ZeXtras Chat, so there shouldn't be any problem.
    Furthermore, the ZeXtras Chat core is undergoing a complete rewrite that, among other benefits, will improve the scalability of the module even in large deployments like yours... The new ZeXtras Chat core will be released together with one of the next ZeXtras Suite versions, so I suggest you to stay tuned!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello Vincent,
    welcome to the forums!

I'm aware of a couple of infrastructures hostin several thousands of users spread upon 7-8 store servers using ZeXtras Chat, so there shouldn't be any problem.
    Furthermore, the ZeXtras Chat core is undergoing a complete rewrite that, among other benefits, will improve the scalability of the module even in large deployments like yours... The new ZeXtras Chat core will be released together with one of the next ZeXtras Suite versions, so I suggest you to stay tuned!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello Cine, hello forumz, hello sunny Vicenza,

This is my first post, please be gentle

I am a zimbra admin and my users are asking for extra functionality for presence and notifications. They are not too keen on actually chatting but they want a way to indicate when they are available/busy/offline, and they want certain information fed straight to their ui.
    I was thinking of implementing this using zextras chat, and sending the notifications as the privileged user or as a resource via python-jabberbot: A simple Jabber Bot for Python (thp.io). I just realized that zextras chat-core is not actually an XMPP server. What is it then? Is there an easy way to script a bot for it? I also read on these fora that chat-core is being rewritten to allow for xmpp client connections. When is that scheduled for?
    Thanks,
    JC

Hello Jerry,
    welcome to the forums!

ZeXtras Chat uses a proprietary protocol entirely developed by ZeXtras, but XMPP support is on its way (the beta stage will start soon, see http://forums.zextras.com/news-annou...xmpp-more.html for more info). Official informations about the available features will be released in due time

I suggest you to apply as a Betatester, and once the Beta starts test ZeXtras Chat and provide us a feedback related to your specific needs...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team