Zxchat Server question
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By d0s0n

Thread: Zxchat Server question

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    Zxchat Server question

    Hi Zextras

    I am a fan of zxchat, I recently been appointed to work on giving our zimbra 8 an IM service. With that said I suggested my boss to use zextras.. He said that it is paid and we can't use it... I have installed ejabberd tried jwchat, ijab, candy and jappix. But they don't qualify for my boss' requirements. My question is can I and is it legal to use zxchat and use ejabberd as it's IM Server? If yes then how? Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Hello RobinP,
    welcome to the forums!

    ZeXtras Chat is not paid
    It's a free module of ZeXtras Suite, and while the other ZeXtras Suite modules require a paid license in order to be used ZeXtras Chat will always remain usable even if there is no valid ZeXtras Suite License on your server.

    Thus said, right now ZeXtras Chat does not support any "external" protocol, so it can only be used through the Zimbra Web Client with the appropriate ZeXtras Chat Zimlet (also free), and vice-versa the ZeXtras Chat Zimlet can only be used on a server running the ZeXtras Chat module.

    XMPP interop is on its way but there is no ETA yet for such feature.


    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello RobinP,
    welcome to the forums!

    ZeXtras Chat is not paid
    It's a free module of ZeXtras Suite, and while the other ZeXtras Suite modules require a paid license in order to be used ZeXtras Chat will always remain usable even if there is no valid ZeXtras Suite License on your server.

    Thus said, right now ZeXtras Chat does not support any "external" protocol, so it can only be used through the Zimbra Web Client with the appropriate ZeXtras Chat Zimlet (also free), and vice-versa the ZeXtras Chat Zimlet can only be used on a server running the ZeXtras Chat module.

    XMPP interop is on its way but there is no ETA yet for such feature.


    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

    Thanks for the response sir. It is now clear that it's free no matter what.

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinP View Post
    Thanks for the response sir. It is now clear that it's free no matter what.
    Hello... I have one last question... Is zxchat open source?

  5. #5
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinP View Post
    Hello... I have one last question... Is zxchat open source?
    Hello RobinP!

    ZeXtras Suite is a proprietary software distributed under the ZeXtras License Agreement.
    The ZeXtras Chat module is a part of ZeXtras Suite which is free to use as it does not require a running license, but is still under the ZeXtras License Agreement. Ditto for the ZeXtras Chat Zimlet.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  6. #6
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    Great news about XMPP, but will it support s2s?

  7. #7
    CTO ZeXtras Employee d0s0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    565
    Yes, I hope so

    D0s0n
    fullscreen likes this.
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •