Chat in IE 8 will not open giving an error
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chat in IE 8 will not open giving an error

Question Chat in IE 8 will not open giving an error

Before I open a bug, I thought I'd ask for help first.

Server:
    zimbra@zimbra:~$ cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

zimbra@zimbra:~$ uname -a
    Linux zimbra.[masked for my protection].com 3.2.0-34-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 15 10:48:16 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

zimbra@zimbra:~$ zmcontrol -v
    Release 8.0.1.GA.5438.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition.

zimbra@zimbra:~$ zxsuite core getversion
    zextras_version 1.8.2
    zextras_target 8.0.1
    zextras_commit 9f7965be85e1d6e03a5f863fa6145d6e5fcc76da
    zextras_lib_version 1.0.0
    zextras_lib_commit efb6e8dbe3551ab680a321f46fc989d967a515a1

ZxChat Zimlet version: 1.04

Client:
    Windows XP
    Internet Explorer 8 (8.0.6001.18702)

Issue:
    Upon signing in (or refreshing Zimbra), the user receives an error in a bubble at the top of the window.

Error:
    "ZeXtras requires Internet Explorer 8+.
    Please update Internet Explorer or switch to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox)."

Is there some type of security setting that needs to be changed in IE or a specific update that needs to be installed for the chat to work in IE8 on Windows XP? Please don't say "switch to a different browser". The user is dead set on IE. And please don't say "update your OS". This is completely out of the question.

Thanks in advance.

bud
    ZeXtras Developer and Zimlet King ZeXtras Employee bud's Avatar
    Hi lieutdan13,

We have checked the Zimbra's function that we use to check the browser version and it seems to work fine, so we need your help to test the function.

Please download this file:testIE.html.zip, inside the zip file you will find an HTML page.
    Open it with Internet Explorer (the same of the issue) and send us what appear on the screen.
    You will see something like:
    Code:
    Host information:
    Platform: win32
    User Agent: [...boring stuff...]
    Is IE? YES
    IE Version: 8
    We have reproduced the exact function used by Zimbra and embedded into the HTML file.

Have a nice day
    bud
    Last edited by bud; 03-08-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo error

Host information:
    Platform: Win32
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; IPH 1.1.21.4019; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Is IE? YES

bud
    Hi lieutdan13,

We are not able to reproduce your issue, also using a Windows XP machine with Internet Exploer 8 (8.0.6001.18702).
    As you have reported:
    Quote Originally Posted by lieutdan13 View Post
    Is IE? YES
    So the script works fine.
    The test which we have sent to you is the same used by Zimbra to detect browsers version, and is the same library we use.

However we have a last test to do:
    Plase visit the page:
    http://www.zextras.com/download/testUAIE.html
    And report to us what you can see.
    We will try to check your user agent.

Quote Originally Posted by lieutdan13 View Post
    Please don't say "switch to a different browser". [...] And please don't say "update your OS".
    As you said, I will not say a word...

Have a nice day
    bud

Quote Originally Posted by bud View Post
    However we have a last test to do:
    Plase visit the page:
    http://www.zextras.com/download/testUAIE.html
    And report to us what you can see.
    We will try to check your user agent.
    Here is what we got from that page. I have a feeling it has something to do with browser security. She's been having some other issues with privacy settings on other sites. I will take a look tomorrow.

Host information (Seen by server):
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; IPH 1.1.21.4019; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Host information (Seen by JavaScript):
    Platform: Win32
    Is IE? YES
    Time: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:33:24 UTC

@bud I haven't had any time to look at her security settings yet. Have you found anything else out on your end that could be the cause?

bud
    Hi lieutdan13,

We have not found errors.
    Unfortunately your case is unique, no one of other customers have reported an issue like yours.

If the problem involves only one machine on the network, we suggest to check its security settings.

If you can do some test please keep us informed.

Have a nice day
    bud

Active Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Quote Originally Posted by bud View Post
    Hi lieutdan13,

We have not found errors.
    Unfortunately your case is unique, no one of other customers have reported an issue like yours.

If the problem involves only one machine on the network, we suggest to check its security settings.

If you can do some test please keep us informed.

Have a nice day
    bud
    I had this problem after upgrading to 8.0.3. I was using all the browsers and found that Chat only worked when using ?dev=1.

I ran the Javascript console in Chrome and found that a couple of other zimlets were failing to load due to permission issues (Mainly the Cisco Click2Call).

I went into /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed and made sure that all the files were owned by zimbra (chown zimbra.zimbra * -R)

It was only a couple .js files that were owned by root.

Now everything works. Give that a shot.

You run run 'find /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed -user root' to identify which files are owned by root. It didn't appear to me that any of them needed to be since all the files has the exact permissions and ownerships (640) except the .js files, which had 600.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    I had this problem after upgrading to 8.0.3. I was using all the browsers and found that Chat only worked when using ?dev=1.

I ran the Javascript console in Chrome and found that a couple of other zimlets were failing to load due to permission issues (Mainly the Cisco Click2Call).

I went into /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed and made sure that all the files were owned by zimbra (chown zimbra.zimbra * -R)

It was only a couple .js files that were owned by root.

Now everything works. Give that a shot.

You run run 'find /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed -user root' to identify which files are owned by root. It didn't appear to me that any of them needed to be since all the files has the exact permissions and ownerships (640) except the .js files, which had 600.
    Hello Joey,
    and thank you very much for the hint!

I've never experienced this permission change so far, but it's good to know that it might happen!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Solved!!

I know this is an old post, but I am the OP and I have finally found the solution to my particular problem. Long story short, "Compatibility Mode" was enabled in the IE8 browser for our mail site. After disabling "Compatibility Mode", the browser refreshed and the chat loaded!

I came across this solution after finding that one of our clients was having an issue with a completely unrelated issue on our web application. The client had IE10 and by disabling "Compatibility Mode" for our site, he was able to load the page properly.

Let this be a lesson, or a tip, for any other developer out there where a certain feature of a website does not work properly in Internet Explorer > 7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-24-2014, 02:56 PM
  2. 04-10-2013, 03:03 PM