ZXchat Zimbra Desktop

Thread: ZXchat Zimbra Desktop

ZXchat Zimbra Desktop

Does Zextras chat work with Zimbra Desktop?
    My setup is zimbra 8 OSE(server) and Zimbra Client 7.1.2.
    thanks
    ALessio

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Alessio,
    welcome to the forums!

The ZeXtras Chat Zimlet is specifically designed to be used within the Zimbra Web Client and it's not compatible with Zimbra Desktop.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Just installed Zimbra 8 for a client, only to find that they require an internal IM solution. I was glad to find zxchat and installed it (with a few hiccups along the way), but after two hours I proudly presented it to them, only to get a one line email back .. Does it work in Zimbra Desktop? Apparently some of the users didn't like the web interface, so they'd gone around and installed Zimbra Desktop everywhere. Gah.

So I understand that ZxChat doesn't work in Zimbra Desktop. Is that just a case of making it connect to a remote host rather than localhost by changing a string somewhere? Could it be hacked?

Or are there so many differences between Zimbra Web and Zimbra Desktop that there's no way it will ever work?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plutocrat View Post
    Just installed Zimbra 8 for a client, only to find that they require an internal IM solution. I was glad to find zxchat and installed it (with a few hiccups along the way), but after two hours I proudly presented it to them, only to get a one line email back .. Does it work in Zimbra Desktop? Apparently some of the users didn't like the web interface, so they'd gone around and installed Zimbra Desktop everywhere. Gah.
    Hello Plutocrat!
    I'm sorry that your customer turned to the dark side of the Zimbra UI...

Quote Originally Posted by plutocrat View Post
    So I understand that ZxChat doesn't work in Zimbra Desktop. Is that just a case of making it connect to a remote host rather than localhost by changing a string somewhere? Could it be hacked?
    Or are there so many differences between Zimbra Web and Zimbra Desktop that there's no way it will ever work?
    I'm afraid it wouldn't be easy, as ZD might lack some basic components needed for the ZeXtras Chat Zimlet to properly work...

XMPP support is on its way and this will make ZeXtras Chat compatible with clients such as Pidgin and Empathy, but being ZD an EOL product we don't plan to start working on or supporting it.