Zxchat 1.27 wordwrap
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DeweyRiley

Thread: Zxchat 1.27 wordwrap

Zxchat 1.27 wordwrap

Hey Guys,

we are running Zxchat 1.27 on Zimbra 8.0.9 with Suite 2.0.1 after upgrading from 7.2.7 with the old IM.

Currently we are having some problems with the word wraps in Webclient, while words are cut in half sometimes, what makes it hard to read.

PHP Code:
    A sentence ma
    y be looking li
    ke this 
    As i could see in the forums, this was an issue back in Versions prior to 1.18. Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
    DeweyRiley

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello DeweyRiley!

I've just asked the ZxChat devs to shed some light on this, and they answered that this kind of strict word wraping has in fact been chosen among several alternatives as it's the one that better performs with all browsers and screen resolutions.

I know that this can be a little pesky when dealing with long messages, but since ZeXtras Chat does not actually add newline characters to the text you can work around the wrapping by clicking the "Send conversation as email" button: this will display the whole chat content in a larger view...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello DeweyRiley!

I've just asked the ZxChat devs to shed some light on this, and they answered that this kind of strict word wraping has in fact been chosen among several alternatives as it's the one that better performs with all browsers and screen resolutions.

I know that this can be a little pesky when dealing with long messages, but since ZeXtras Chat does not actually add newline characters to the text you can work around the wrapping by clicking the "Send conversation as email" button: this will display the whole chat content in a larger view...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Hi, I've just installed the latest version of ZxChat and I'm running into the issue above as well. I see that you responded that it's not a bug, it's a feature, but I'm following up because that can't possibly be right.

Anyway, the OP doesn't appear to be talking about when a single word is too long to fit the width of the chat window, but just in the course of normal typing. In other words, the word "it" would be wrapped as "i <newline> t" if the "t" would have been the 41st character on the line, regardless of the length of the preceding words. I understand that if you have a single word longer than 40 characters, you start it on a newline and then you wrap it as shown above. But if you have 5 words of 7-8 characters each, followed but the word "it", you don't wrap the word "it" in the middle, you put the entire word "it" on a new line, leaving a couple blank spaces on the previous line. If the way it works now is intentional, it's totally illegible and there at least needs to be a setting to disable this.

Thanks!

Hello bjquinn!

Thank you for your feedback, it's really appreciated.
    As already mentioned, the current word wrapping engine has been chosen among several different options as - while not the most keen to the eye - is the one that offers the best compatibility through different browsers, screen resolutions and also Zimbra releases (which have different composition restraints): however, both me and the higher-ups agree with your feedback and even if I can't shed any light on any ETA I want to reassure you that we are constantly doing our best to improve our products, and thus actively keeping an eye on this specific frature...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello bjquinn!

Thank you for your feedback, it's really appreciated.
    As already mentioned, the current word wrapping engine has been chosen among several different options as - while not the most keen to the eye - is the one that offers the best compatibility through different browsers, screen resolutions and also Zimbra releases (which have different composition restraints): however, both me and the higher-ups agree with your feedback and even if I can't shed any light on any ETA I want to reassure you that we are constantly doing our best to improve our products, and thus actively keeping an eye on this specific frature...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    I suppose, but the end result is that it's basically impossible to read. I can't get anyone to use it.

Hello,

i recently updated to Version 1.32. As it seems textwrapping has a new "feature" now. When i am writing long sentences there is no text wrapping at all and i cant see the whole sentence, while the window has a fixed width. When i minimize the window with the button on top and open it again it is wrapped as in the versions before.

Tested on:
    Windows 7 with Firefox / Chrome
    Ubuntu 14.04 with Firefox / Chromium

After that it keeps working as usual... hope u got a solution for this...

Hello DeweyRiley!

That sounds like a cache issue, could you please access the WebClient in Dev Mode (by adding "?dev=1" at the end of the URL, e.h. https://mail.yourdomain.com/?dev=1) and check whether the issue appears? If not, clearing both the server's and browser's cache will do the trick - the former can be done by running `zmprov fc zimlet com_zextras_chat` as the "zimbra" user.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

bud
    ZeXtras Developer and Zimlet King ZeXtras Employee bud's Avatar

Wink

Hello DeweyRiley and bjquinn,

After a deep look into this issue we have made some visual style enhancements to assure the best visualization on every browser.
    All of those modifications are pushed to the main branch and will be delivered in the next release of the ZeXtras Chat Zimlet.
    Have a nice day,
    bud
    The ZeXtras team

Just wanted let you guys know: ZxChat 1.33 solved the wrapping issues for me. The new system works really good. Thanks for the help and keep up the good work!
    d0s0n likes this.

Hey DeweyRiley!

Glad you like the new word wrapping engine - it's been tough to find a good compromise between compatibility and usability, so kudos to Bud and his team!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website