Can't use ZXChat from browser, using a front proxy
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FredTakecare

Thread: Can't use ZXChat from browser, using a front proxy

Can't use ZXChat from browser, using a front proxy

Hi,

To protect our servers, reduce the number of public IPs, and use wildcards ssl, all our servers are behind a firewall and a reverse proxy - including Zimbra.

So we have this config:

Web --> pfSense firewall (redirects 80 to 443) --> Pound reverse proxy (serves SSL on 443 - routes to the right VM on 80) --> Zimbra VM (receives requests on 80 on its own NGinx proxy).

Zimbra uses split dns (dnsmasq); pure Zimbra webmail works well.

Zimbra is the latest 8.6.0 version, and ZXTools & ZxChat too- I just installed them this week-end after migrating successfully from a old Zimbra 6 version, thanks to your amazing Mig and Backup tools - Thanks a lot for them !!

Unfortunately we have problems with ZxChat - it seems to connect, then goes to Disconnected, and we get get error in Pound log:
    pound: (80120a580) e500 response error read from 192.168.ip.ip:80/POST /service/soap/ZxChatRequest HTTP/1.1: Operation timed out (15.004 secs)

So it seems that ZxChat doesn't publish the service on port 80 ? How can we fix this, or tell NGinx to route this traffic ?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello FredTakecare,
    welcome to the forums and thanks for your kind words, it's always good to hear that our products are appreciated by our users!

The cause of your ZeXtras Chat issue is probably the default timeout setting in pound, which is 15 seconds: the ZeXtras Chat Zimlet estabilishes a connection with the ZeXtras Chat module which is meant to be kept alive and automatically re-established on a 25-seconds cycle, so dropping the connection after 15 seconds would make the server "think" that the client disconnected.

Because of this, raising pound's timeout setting to 30 seconds should solve the issue...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Amazing Support !! Quick and precise.

Of course, this was the reason... it works perfectly now, the holidays of my remote colleagues are finished

Thanks a LOT !

Fred
    d0s0n likes this.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Fred!

Glad this was all sorted out (albeit I feel a little sad for your remote colleagues )!

I won't take full credit for this: the solution was provided by our CTO himself, D0s_0n, so I'll proxy your enthusiasm to him aswell!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

[EDIT: I've added the information discussed in this thread to the ZeXtras Wiki at http://wiki.zextras.com/wiki/ZxChat_...lls_and_Proxy]
    Last edited by Cine; 01-21-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery