External backup to tape

Thread: External backup to tape

External backup to tape

Hi everybody,
    in my company we would like to schedule an additional weekly backup job on a tape device, in addition to ZeXtras backup. My first idea was to simply copy the "backup" folder that ZeXtras uses, but it contains a lot of different files, and the copy to tape device took about 21 hours.
    So I searched on the wiki, and found the External backup feature: if I plan with a CLI script a weekly External backup to the tape device, the backup process would be faster?
    Thank you in advance.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello cinmar!

I recently wrote a small article about this topic on the ZeXtras Wiki, it might be worth a look: Taking Additional and Offsite backups of ZxBackup's Datastore - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

Regarding your specific question: it might be slightly faster, as the main backup path also contains deleted files waiting to be purged according to your Data Retention settings while an External Backup will create a "snapshot" of the data on the server, but in the end it all comes down to the I/O performances of your tape device...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hi Cine, and sorry for the delay in responding to your post. I read your article and now we are setting up an additional backup via rsync.
    Thank you!

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Cinmar!

You're welcome... Glad the guide helped!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team