Redolog filling up my disk

Thread: Redolog filling up my disk

Redolog filling up my disk

So, I just about ran out of space on my /opt/zimbra drive. In digging deeper. I found that my store is about 100G. However, I have over 200G of redolog archive. What I learned from the Zimbra community is that Network Edition keeps 30 days worth in the backup and deletes the rest. Apparently, Zextras doesn't? Why do I have this proliferation of redolog archives? Does Zextras not handle those?

Thanks,
    Stephen

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Stephen!

The RedoLog feature is entirely managed by Zimbra itself, both on NE and OSE.

Both in Zimbra Network Edition and in Zimbra Open Source Edition, redologs are rotated according to a set of rules defined by the following properties:

Code:
    <attr id="78" name="zimbraRedoLogRolloverFileSizeKB" type="integer" min="0" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox">
    <globalConfigValue>1048576</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
      redo.log file becomes eligible for rollover over when it goes over this size
      </desc>
    </attr>
    Code:
    <attr id="1020" name="zimbraRedoLogRolloverMinFileAge" type="integer" min="0" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox" since="5.0.17">
      <globalConfigValue>60</globalConfigValue 
      <desc>
        minimum age in minutes for redo.log file before it becomes eligible for rollover based on size
      </desc>
    </attr>
    Code:
    <attr id="1021" name="zimbraRedoLogRolloverHardMaxFileSizeKB" type="integer" min="0" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox" since="5.0.17">
      <globalConfigValue>4194304</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
        redo.log file rolls over when it goes over this size, even if it does not meet the minimum file age requirement
      </desc>
    </attr>
    In addition to this, In Zimbra Network Edition, redologs are rotated/archived when an incremental backup is performed, and any archived redolog is moved to the backup directory.

The main difference between Zimbra NE and Zimbra OSE is that while in Zimbra OSE redologs are deleted right after being rotated, in Zimbra NE redologs are moved to the backup directory when an incremental backup is ran.
    You can change this behaviour by editing the following property:
    Code:
    <attr id="251" name="zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover" type="boolean" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox">
      <globalConfigValue>TRUE</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
        whether logs are delete on rollover or archived
      </desc>
    </attr>
    This is set by default to "false" on NE and to "true" on OSE. Setting it to "true" will delete a redolog file upon rollover instead of archiving it.

Other than the ones I mentioned, there are some more configuration properties regarding the redolog feature:
    Code:
    <attr id="74" name="zimbraRedoLogEnabled" type="boolean" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox">
      <globalConfigValue>TRUE</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
        whether redo logging is enabled
      </desc>
    </attr>

<attr id="75" name="zimbraRedoLogLogPath" type="string" max="256" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox">
      <globalConfigValue>redolog/redo.log</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
        name and location of the redolog file
      </desc>
    </attr>

<attr id="76" name="zimbraRedoLogArchiveDir" type="string" max="256" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox">
      <globalConfigValue>redolog/archive</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
        redolog rollover destination
      </desc>
    </attr>

<attr id="79" name="zimbraRedoLogFsyncIntervalMS" type="integer" min="0" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox">
      <globalConfigValue>10</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
        how frequently writes to redo log get fsynced to disk
      </desc>
    </attr>

<attr id="225" name="zimbraRedoLogProvider" type="string" max="256" cardinality="multi" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox">
      <desc>
        provider class name for redo logging
      </desc>
    </attr>

<attr id="1009" name="zimbraRedoLogCrashRecoveryLookbackSec" type="integer" min="0" cardinality="single" optionalIn="globalConfig,server" flags="serverInherited" requiresRestart="mailbox" since="6.0.0_BETA2">
      <globalConfigValue>10</globalConfigValue>
      <desc>
        how many seconds worth of committed redo ops to re-execute during crash recovery; related to mysql parameter innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0
      </desc>
    </attr>
    I strognly advise against changing this properties, especially the latter 3 of the list.

I'll add a dedicated page about this on the ZeXtras Wiki as soon as possible.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Thanks Cine, it was indeed configured to not delete redologs archives. I have no idea why but it is configured to do so now.

Stephen

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Thanks Cine, it was indeed configured to not delete redologs archives. I have no idea why but it is configured to do so now.

Stephen
    Hello Stephen!

If your server was originally running Zimbra Network Edition and was then "downgraded" to Zimbra Open Source Edition there is a high chance that this option has not been changed to the appropriate value during the process...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Cine,

Yes, that was indeed the case as it started out a Virtual Appliance. I really want to install a clean FOSS and bring all the email into it but I haven't gotten it done yet. The residual impact of downgrading has been a nightmare.

Stephen