Can Zextras Backup substitute for redundant mail server setup?

Thread: Can Zextras Backup substitute for redundant mail server setup?

Active Member ZeXtras Reseller

Can Zextras Backup substitute for redundant mail server setup?

Hi,

I am getting a single server Zimbra OSE setup implemented and at this stage, we don't have the budget for a redundant architecture to add another server.

Can the Zextras Backup module act as a safety net in case the single server goes down? Or, am I misunderstanding the purpose of the module?

Hi zimaster,

the main purpose of the ZxBackup module is giving a complete backup solution for your zimbra server, this solution includes the Disaster Recovery capability.

Have a nice day!
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Active Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Hi D0s0n,

Thank you for the clarification.

The single server is going to be set up with RAID 10. Additionally, we will have a shared SAN. Can we put the ZxBackup data on the shared SAN and then restore from that in case something goes wrong on the single server?

I suppose we can't avoid email downtime if something goes wrong in a big way with the hardware, but at least having ZxBackup will allow us to restore the server and mailboxes/data quickly, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by zimaster View Post
    Hi D0s0n,

Thank you for the clarification.

The single server is going to be set up with RAID 10. Additionally, we will have a shared SAN. Can we put the ZxBackup data on the shared SAN and then restore from that in case something goes wrong on the single server?
    For Zimbra setup, I suggest you the official zimbra Deployment guide and for ZxBackup, I confirm that the best way is to use another indipendent storage (Case-Sensitive Filesystem is a mandatory requirement for zxbackup path).

Quote Originally Posted by zimaster View Post
    I suppose we can't avoid email downtime if something goes wrong in a big way with the hardware, but at least having ZxBackup will allow us to restore the server and mailboxes/data quickly, wouldn't it?
    To minimize your downtime you can prepare a new installation of zimbra (e.g. a clean zimbra vitual machine) to put on-line very quickly after the restore operation is started. The Restore/Import operation is designed to create all users/alias/dlist before all mailbox data in few seconds from the old backup path, in this way all new incoming e-mails will be correctly handled and in the next hours all maibox items will be restored.

D0s0n.
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators