Quick backup strategy to an external server

Thread: Quick backup strategy to an external server

Quick backup strategy to an external server

Hello, before ending my trail period and buying your fabulous suite I still wonder how backup works.
    I have read some pages on wiki guide but still not understand how it works.

I have initialisez and perform an scan.
    It has created a new folder backup/zextras with lots of data. Are this data the realtime backup ?

Then what is default and defaultexternal ? what is the difference ?

What I want to do is to copy to an external storage via rsync over ssh for instance
    I can create a schedule task.
    But what to do ?
    Should I create first a task for export then to copy via rsync ?

Sorry to ask so much questions. I thought Zextras backup was easyer and I'm not very familiar with Zimbra admin.

Quote Originally Posted by fgossart View Post
    Hello, before ending my trail period and buying your fabulous suite I still wonder how backup works.
    Hi fgossart and thanks for your compliments!

I have read some pages on wiki guide but still not understand how it works.

I have initialisez and perform an scan.
    No problem, you're right! When you initialize a backup path you are sure to save all zimbra data in that path...

It has created a new folder backup/zextras with lots of data. Are this data the realtime backup?
    ...the Realtime backup keeps all backup information up to date by adding all necessary modification in the backup path, so every stored item has its own complete history.
    With SmartScan, the zxbackup module checks the consistency of backup, while the FullScan operation checks and purges all deleted items that exits from the backup retention.

Then what is default and defaultexternal? what is the difference?
    They are zimbra's Class Of Services:
    Default class is used by all zimbra accounts, while defaulexternal is used by the external accounts, a zimbra's feature that permit to an "external zimbra user" accessing to some shared data.

What I want to do is to copy to an external storage via rsync over ssh for instance
    I can create a schedule task.
    But what to do ?
    Should I create first a task for export then to copy via rsync ?
    The zxbackup is specifically designed to avoid any data loss by using atomic and ever-consistent algorythms, so you can safely rsync the packup path whenever you need, even with a scheduled task or using an auto replicated nas. The export feature is usefull for a migration from a server to another (but not for archiving purposes).

Sorry to ask so much questions. I thought Zextras backup was easyer and I'm not very familiar with Zimbra admin.
    Don't worry, I hope my answers can help you!

Have a nice day.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Ok ... so if I understand no need to do first an export before copying to an external?
    But in case of complete server crash perhaps the export task is necessary for a disaster recovery ?

Nope, an export operation is almost the same process of a FullScan (or the initialization process), they have some little differences but use the same data structure.
    So in case of Disaster Recovery you can use the old ZeXtras backup folder or (or the rsynced copy) as the import path to restore the last valid moment of your old server on a new zimbra installation.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators