ZeXtras Trial Import: 30 Days of email or 30 day old backup?

Thread: ZeXtras Trial Import: 30 Days of email or 30 day old backup?

ZeXtras Trial Import: 30 Days of email or 30 day old backup?

Just trying to figure out the limitation of the zextras trial and want to clarify something.

When they say we can import a backup thats 30 days old, do they mean that if I create a zXbackup 1 year ago, that the import wouldn't work? Or do they mean that the import will only restore emails dated back to 30 days ago? (i.e will our inboxes only have 30 days worth of email?)

I hope it's not the 2nd.

The right answer is the second, but it's the only trial mode limitation. If you you have a licensed server there's no time limit.
    Are you not agree?

D0s0s
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    The right answer is the second, but it's the only trial mode limitation. If you you have a licensed server there's no time limit.
    Are you not agree?

D0s0s
    Makes perfect sense to me. I just dont think I can convince my company to purchase this product. I think we will need to use it only for preferences/contacts/address book and use ZCS migrate tool to migrate mailboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzpatel View Post
    I just dont think I can convince my company to purchase this product. I think we will need to use it only for preferences/contacts/address book and use ZCS migrate tool to migrate mailboxes.
    I don't understand why... If you need to migrate your server, you can use ZxMig to re-export all data from the source server to avoid the 30day old backup limitation. So, on the new server you can import all preferences, data and also all the shares between accounts (impossible with Zcs tool).

PS: if you have a disk space problem, you can delete previous backup path (older than 30 days) because them are useless without a license.

D0s0n

I don't understand why... If you need to migrate your server, you can use ZxMig to re-export all data from the source server to avoid the 30day old backup limitation. So, on the new server you can import all preferences, data and also all the shares between accounts (impossible with Zcs tool).

PS: if you have a disk space problem, you can delete previous backup path (older than 30 days) because them are useless without a license.

D0s0n

But you said tge emails are only restorwd for 30 days. Meaning if I restored today (july 26) I would only see emails back to june 26

So im confused. Please clarify. The backup cant be more than 30 days? Or will the accounts only have 30 days of emails in inbox?

D0s0n

Actually we have decided to just do this.

Our mailboxes after Zxbackup was finished was roughly 50GB in size full of files only 1KB. It took 3 hours to create the backup. Then It took 4 hours to transfer 10GB(20% total) of little files (Yes I can use tar..but it would also take very long) to the new Zimbra server. This is already 7 hours and 80% of transfer to go. Then once trasnfer is finished we must import on destination(3-4 hours again?)

This seems like it would take over 15 hours to complete.

We are going to use ZCS migrate tool to create accounts first. Then we will run ZxImport without mail (should be less than 1GB) and it will migrate preferences, contact list, calendar etc..

Once all of the accounts have preferences migrated with Zextras, then we use ZCS migrate part 2 to migrate mailboxes via IMAP directly from source to destination.

We would consider using Zextras if there was an option to backup+resture directly to the destination server. But because we need to create a 50 GB backup, copy 50GB backup to destination, then import 50GB backup, it just doesn't seem like the best method. The ZCS tool works perfect, just without preferences.

ZCS is missing features that Zextras has. Zextras is missing nice features that ZCS has. Together it's perfect.

Thanks

rizz

But you said the emails are only restored for 30 days. Meaning if I restored today (july 26) I would only see emails back to june 26

So im confused. Please clarify. The backup cant be more than 30 days? Or will the accounts only have 30 days of emails in inbox?
    The mail, and all zimbra items like contact, calendar events, briefcase files etc, are only restored for 30 days after the export/backup in the trial mode, so if you do another Export today, you can import it for the next 30 days

Actually we have decided to just do this.

Our mailboxes after Zxbackup was finished was roughly 50GB in size full of files only 1KB. It took 3 hours to create the backup. Then It took 4 hours to transfer 10GB(20% total) of little files (Yes I can use tar..but it would also take very long) to the new Zimbra server. This is already 7 hours and 80% of transfer to go. Then once trasnfer is finished we must import on destination(3-4 hours again?)

This seems like it would take over 15 hours to complete.
    Just remember that you can mount your exported data in the new server as a network share (like nfs or sshfs) or, if you use a virtualized disk, you can move the entire disk from the source virtulal machine to the destination server.

We are going to use ZCS migrate tool to create accounts first. Then we will run ZxImport without mail (should be less than 1GB) and it will migrate preferences, contact list, calendar etc..

Once all of the accounts have preferences migrated with Zextras, then we use ZCS migrate part 2 to migrate mailboxes via IMAP directly from source to destination.
    Excuse me but, where do you read that contacts and calendar are not limited? The 30 days restore limitation is for every zimbra items (mail, contacts, calendars, tasks, briefcases and all folders).

We would consider using Zextras if there was an option to backup+resture directly to the destination server. But because we need to create a 50 GB backup, copy 50GB backup to destination, then import 50GB backup, it just doesn't seem like the best method. The ZCS tool works perfect, just without preferences.

ZCS is missing features that Zextras has. Zextras is missing nice features that ZCS has. Together it's perfect.

Thanks

rizz
    First, as I have just said, you can use a network share (only case sensitive shares) to directly import your data in the destination.
    Second, you're having these problems because your trial period is expired: if you had a license, or a valid trial, you may also use the incremental migration with 0 downtime.
    Third, ZeXtras Restore is designed to migrate all zimbra stuff, like in a disaster recovery, even moving from a zimbra version to another.

So I suggest you to contact our sales team for an extended trial, I hope you can enjoy a painless migration and maybe evaluate all other available feature of our whole Suite, but I doubt that you'll get an answer before next monday.

D0s0n