Merging new mail from a temp server

Thread: Merging new mail from a temp server

Merging new mail from a temp server

I have run into an issue where I am having to restore a Zimbra 8.0.2 server and due to the way it was configured, I am looking at about 48 hours for the restore to finish. In an effort to ensure that this division has working email before the restoration is complete, I was contemplating building a temporary Zimbra server and having that function as the mail server while I restore the original. My concern is whether or not I could merge the two servers together so that the end users had all of their original mail as well as any new mail that came into the temp server. I have looked around but did not see aything specifically addressing this possibility. Is there anyone here that might know if this is a workable solution for me?

I plan on building a whole new box one I get the resouces, to prevent this from happening again and from what I have seen here so far, I know that I am going to want to use the functions offered through ZeXtras. Wish I had found out about it sooner.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Joe

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Joe,
    welcome to the forums!

Let's see if I got the situation 100% clear:

- You have a compromised server to restore, not running ZeXtras Suite.
    - You want to build and enable a "provisional" server so that your users can use their mailboxes, albeit empty, while the restore of the original server is running.
    - Once the restore is completed, you need to "merge" all data in the provisional server with the data in the restored server.

Is this correct?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Thank you Cine, that is exactly what I am considering.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynx23 View Post
    Thank you Cine, that is exactly what I am considering.
    Hello Jinx23!

In this case the solution is pretty simple:
    - Install ZeXtras Suite on the provisional server and initialize the backup (since the server is empty this will take no time).
    - Once the original server is fully restored, install ZeXtras Suite on it.
    - Switch the mailflow back to the original server and wait until no more mail arrives to the provisional one.
    - Transfer the data in the provisional server's backup path to the original server - or mount the directory remotely via sshfs.
    - Run an "Import Backup" operation to import all the data.
    Remember that all domains/classes of service/user configurations will be imported, so make sure that everything is correctly set in the provisional server...

You won't even need a ZeXtras Suite license, the ZeXtras Suite trial is fully featured
    Feel free to post here any question or doubt you might have!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Thanks again Cine! I was hoping that this was the case but wasn't certain and I certainly didn't want to add insult to injury by causing them to lose mail. I will be running this by my boss in about an hour and see if this is how he wants to approach it.