[zxBackup] Problem(s) detected
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: [zxBackup] Problem(s) detected

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10

    [zxBackup] Problem(s) detected

    Hello,

    I'm here to see if someone had the problem we're encountering over here and if so, how to fix it / ...
    But first things first, i'll have to explain why we came to the solution i'll explain below.

    2 weeks ago, our VMWare environment litteraly crashed.
    We were able to restore almost all of our servers... Except our Zimbra which after a 6 hours + restore appeared to be extremely damaged.

    We were somehow able to get access to the backup data path and we sync'ed it to another server.
    It seemed to have suffered a bit too since, when we restored it to a new server, some users had wrong mails in their box or wrong trashbin, or wrong calendar, etc...

    Not all of them though.

    We got back, at first, roughly 85% of the mails.

    Then, we explored a bit more the users who were not restored and why. We discovered then than some files of the backup were really damaged.
    We used an external export and looked manually after the missing ones and we progressed to 93ish %.

    And using some data of the external export ( a week older than the last one we had), we were able to get to the High 90% but in any case, it was not a 100%.
    But before that we had to script a little thing to... sort the external backup since our trainee copied it on a Windows Share without fixing the names, implying all the vD Vd VD, etc... folders were regrouped in one, but whatever. (Just beware of that)

    I guess you all have a rough idea of the situation we were in.

    Since we were glad to have the zExtras module we decided to use as our primarily backup source and we imagined this situation.

    Our production server , let's name him Zimbra1 was cloned on Zimbra2.
    To keep the servers in line (so that if Zimbra1 crashes, we'd have Zimbra2 running in less than 10 minutes), we were thinking about "How to keep them sync'ed ?"

    We created a small server to replicate things and store somewhere else the data. (using rsync and some small bash)

    Today, we're confronted to a small observation, it seems that when we read our mails on some of our mobile devices, it can't be back up, and so not be replicated on the other server.
    We've tried some things, but can't get a fix by ourselves.
    Our mobile devices are using zxMobile and the Exchange protocol.

    So is there a way to have this correctly synchronize ? Or is it a know issue and will it be fixed ?

    Thanks for reading.

  2. #2
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Hello nm_was!

    Some basic information are missing in order for us to help you:
    - Zimbra version and ZeXtras Suite version you are running (ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4 fixed a lot of small issues affecting the ZeXtras Mobile module)
    - Mobile devices experiencing this issue: are those random devices or does this happen to specific classes of devices (e.g.: "All iOS 4.x devices" or "All [insert manufacturer here] devices).
    - Detailed informations about how the sync between the servers is done (this is not an officially supported practice, but I'll be more than glad to give you some hints )

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello nm_was!

    Some basic information are missing in order for us to help you:
    - Zimbra version and ZeXtras Suite version you are running (ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4 fixed a lot of small issues affecting the ZeXtras Mobile module)
    - Mobile devices experiencing this issue: are those random devices or does this happen to specific classes of devices (e.g.: "All iOS 4.x devices" or "All [insert manufacturer here] devices).
    - Detailed informations about how the sync between the servers is done (this is not an officially supported practice, but I'll be more than glad to give you some hints )

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Hello Cine,

    thanks for the answer.

    Version : Release 8.0.3.GA.5664.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition.
    zExtras Version : 1.8.3
    Mobile devices : We have a panel of Android phones / tablets, IOS, etc.

    About the sync :

    we use an hourly rsync on the backup path from the production server to the replication server, then from the replication server to the "Plan B" Zimbra server.
    We thought that even if some user has a file open while the realtime scanner does his job, it would not be that critical for that mail to be backuped the next time.

    We tried a full export and a restore from it too but the mails opened by a mobile device still don't get restored. (They are in the sent folders though.)

  4. #4
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Hello nm_was!

    First of all, you are correct about running the rsync when the Realtime Scanner is running: ZeXtras Backup is designed to keep the backup path always consistent, so that's not an issue.
    Also, I suggest you to upgrade to ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4.

    Information about the read/unread status of an email are stored within the metadata located in the "accounts/[accountID]/items/*" subdirectory of the backup path.

    I couldn't manage to reproduce the issue on our test environment, you can check whether the read/unread change is correctly backupped by following this steps:

    In the ZWC - Identify the itemID of an unread email (I usually do so through Right Click -> Show Original - the itemID is in the URL of the popup window containing the full email)
    Run the following command through the ZeXtras CLI to see the backup history for that item.
    Code:
    zxsuite backup getItem user@domain.com XYZ date all
    (where XYZ is the itemID you previously identified)

    On your mobile, mark the email as read.
    As soon as you see the change in your ZWC, run the "getItem" command again: a new entry should be added to the output to mark that the change in the item has been backupped.


    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Hello,

    There has been some improvements on some things and some downgrades as well.
    First and the most important thing, the backup seems to be coherent and really full, no more lost mail.
    Second, the restore takes a lot of time, we were around 10 - 20 min. Now we are around 1h20ish.
    Is there a way to tone down that time a bit or is it a normal amount of time ?

    Best regards

  6. #6
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by nm_was View Post
    Hello,
    [...] the restore takes a lot of time, we were around 10 - 20 min. Now we are around 1h20ish.
    Is there a way to tone down that time a bit or is it a normal amount of time ?
    Hello nm_was!
    The change in the import duration is strange indeed... Has there been any change in the destination server? I/O is usually the culprit when dealing with slow import operations, with RAM taking second place.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello nm_was!
    The change in the import duration is strange indeed... Has there been any change in the destination server? I/O is usually the culprit when dealing with slow import operations, with RAM taking second place.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    The I/O is normal in the VSphereCenter but when we look at the log he seems slower than before when it's about to compare the files. It's like it's not really comparing the file even though he skips a lot of them.

  8. #8
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by nm_was View Post
    The I/O is normal in the VSphereCenter but when we look at the log he seems slower than before when it's about to compare the files. It's like it's not really comparing the file even though he skips a lot of them.
    Could you please email the operation log to community@zextras.com? I'll check it with the devs to see what's going on...

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  9. #9
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    I got a feedback from the devs:

    It looks like a new coherency check added to the External Import operation is done even if the item is to be skipped. This does not have a great impact on "standard" migrations, since the check is done while the item has been already read, but greatly affects incremental migrations as it forces all items to be examined.

    A fix for this has been pushed to the production tree, I'll send you a download link for a fixed package as soon as the build process is completed.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    I got a feedback from the devs:

    It looks like a new coherency check added to the External Import operation is done even if the item is to be skipped. This does not have a great impact on "standard" migrations, since the check is done while the item has been already read, but greatly affects incremental migrations as it forces all items to be examined.

    A fix for this has been pushed to the production tree, I'll send you a download link for a fixed package as soon as the build process is completed.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Hello,

    we were quite happy reading this answer and we are waiting impatiently for this fix.
    Could we have an ETA so we can resume our normal backup procedure ?

    Thanks for all the answers and the patience.

    Best regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •