Using ZBackup backup/restore account settings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using ZBackup backup/restore account settings

ple

Using ZBackup backup/restore account settings

Hello,
    Is it possible to use ZBackup to backup and restore the user account settings only? It is my plan to migrate email suing IMAPSYNC the use ZBackup to restore calendars, briefcase, Preferences such as filters, signatures, etc.? I'm migrating ZCS6.14-ZCS8.03_64bit. Please advise.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello ple!

ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4 will feature a "provisioning_only" CLI option for the External Restore procedure that will only import domains, classes of service and user accounts (no emails, address books, calendars, briefcases and tasks)...

I think I don't get your question by the way... Why would you only import user account settings if you also need to import calendars, address books, briefcases etcetera? Wouldn't be easier to just perform an Incremental Migration (see HERE for more info) to move all the data to the new server?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 04-04-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: "Friday grammar" hits again... And on thursday!

ple
    Like I mentioned earlier, I want to eliminate moving a large ZBackup file over a network so I will migrate emails using IMAPSYNC; having said that, I now have calendars, briefcase, contacts and preferences that need to be migrated to the new server. I was going to use zmztozmig to migrate calendars, contacts and briefcase; I'd love to migrate user preferences over if possible. So, if ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4, could migrate calendars, briefcase, contacts and preferences that would be great. Please confirm.
    Thanks,
    PL

Quote Originally Posted by ple View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier, I want to eliminate moving a large ZBackup file over a network so I will migrate emails using IMAPSYNC; having said that, I now have calendars, briefcase, contacts and preferences that need to be migrated to the new server. I was going to use zmztozmig to migrate calendars, contacts and briefcase; I'd love to migrate user preferences over if possible. So, if ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4, could migrate calendars, briefcase, contacts and preferences that would be great. Please confirm.
    Thanks,
    PL
    Hello PL!
    I think there is a bit of confusion about what can be migrated with ZeXtras Suite...

ZeXtras Suite currently migrates:
    - Classes of Service
    - Domains
    - User Accounts (including the preferences)
    - Shares (both granters' and grantees')
    - emails
    - contacts
    - calendars
    - briefcases
    - tasks

ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4 (and following versions) will be able to perform a "provisioning only" import that will only import the first 3 entries of this list...

Also, you wouldn't need to move the ZeXtras Backup files over the network, as you can either remotely mount the export path on the destination server (NFS, sshfs, etc...) or phisically move the disk/vdisk and start the restore.
    If remotely mounting the export path the transfer rates would be similar to those obtained with imapsync/zmztozmig and you woulndn't need to configure anything...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 02-13-2015 at 11:29 AM.

ple
    It starts making some sense On my new server, I've already recreated COS, Domains, and user accounts so this is what I would do:
    1. Perform a full backup on a NFS volume
    2. Mount the volume on the new server
    3. Restore contacts, calendars and briefcases
    4. Restore user accounts - will this just restore user settings because the accounts have already provisioned
    Please clarify #3 and #4.
    Thanks,
    PL

It starts making some sense On my new server, I've already recreated COS, Domains, and user accounts so this is what I would do:
    1. Perform a full backup on a NFS volume
    2. Mount the volume on the new server
    3. Restore contacts, calendars and briefcases
    4. Restore user accounts - will this just restore user settings because the accounts have already provisioned
    Please clarify #3 and #4.
    Thanks,
    PL
    Hell ple!

The "External Restore" is a single operation that imports all types of data in the aforementioned list, so steps 3 and 4 are actually a single step. Existing user configuration and user preferences will be overwritten by the data stored in the backup.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

ple
    Cine,
    Two more questions:
    1. Where do I download 1.8.4? it appears that 1.8.3 is the latest.
    2. As I try to restore an account using ZxTras, I don't see an option where I can says, don't restore emails, just restore the calendars, briefcases and settings? What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    PL

Two more questions:
    1. Where do I download 1.8.4? it appears that 1.8.3 is the latest.
    Hello PL!
    The next version of ZeXtras Suite will be released within next few days.

2. As I try to restore an account using ZxTras, I don't see an option where I can says, don't restore emails, just restore the calendars, briefcases and settings? What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    PL
    As Cine said, you can not choose what kind of items to import.
    With the next ZeXtras Suite version you will be able to either import all data (items and configs), or to ony import "provisioning info" such as COS, domains and users.

Feel free to add an rfe on the ZeXtras Bugzilla if you think that a more "selective" import is a feature that you and other users might be interested on.

D0s0n
    Last edited by Cine; 04-08-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

ple
    It appears that the recent reply has been edited. This is what I received via email: "Sorry PL, but as Cine said, with the next version you will be able to import only the "user provisioning info" without all items and this new feature will be available only as a CLI parameter. Therefore you can not choose what kind of items to import (feel free to add an rfe on bugzilla)." So the first response by D0s0n above is not correct where I can import only the "user provisioning info" without all items using CLI. Please correct. Going back to my original question: since I migrate emails using IMAPSYNC; all I need is to migrate user settings such as signature, preferences, filters - can I do so using ZeXtras backup/restore zimlet? I don't have problem using CLI or GUI. Either one should be OK
    Thanks,
    PL

It appears that the recent reply has been edited. This is what I received via email: "Sorry PL, but as Cine said, with the next version you will be able to import only the "user provisioning info" without all items and this new feature will be available only as a CLI parameter. Therefore you can not choose what kind of items to import (feel free to add an rfe on bugzilla)." So the first response by D0s0n above is not correct where I can import only the "user provisioning info" without all items using CLI. Please correct.
    Hello ple,
    I edited d0s_0n's reply to avoid misunderstandings as it was a bit unclear...

Going back to my original question:
    Which was:
    Hello,
    Is it possible to use ZBackup to backup and restore the user account settings only? It is my plan to migrate email suing IMAPSYNC the use ZBackup to restore calendars, briefcase, Preferences such as filters, signatures, etc.? I'm migrating ZCS6.14-ZCS8.03_64bit. Please advise.
    ZeXtras Suite 1.8.4 will allow you to perform a "provisioning" import, importing account Settings and Preferences without any item. Please remember that, just like Emails, Calendars/Address Books/Briefcases/Tasks are neither account preferences nor account settings but Items. The standard import restores all kind of items, and it's not possible to change this behaviour.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast