How to identify & fix "Skipped" and "Unrestored" items in a ZxBackup restore process?

Thread: How to identify & fix "Skipped" and "Unrestored" items in a ZxBackup restore process?

pgn

How to identify & fix "Skipped" and "Unrestored" items in a ZxBackup restore process?

I did a FullBackup of a Zimbra v7 server.
    I rsync'd the created /opt/zimbra/backups/zextras folder to a network store.

I prepared a new Zimbra v8 server.
    I rsync'd the 'zextras' folder from the network store to /home/pgn/zextras_migration

On the v8 server, I executed

su - zimbra -c "zxsuite backup doExternalRestore /home/pgn/zextras"
    server mx.mydomain.com
    operationId 97dd064f-7a32-9764-a6df-e1cddb645124

to start the restore, then

su - zimbra -c "zxsuite backup monitor 97dd064f-7a32-9764-a6df-e1cddb645124"

to watch the process.

It's still progressing, but I just noticed for one account

Operation log path: /opt/zimbra/log/zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_97dd064f-7a32-9764-a6df-e1cddb645124.log
    Warnings/Errors: 0/2
    Restored Accounts(only attributes): 12/12
    Restored Accounts(common items): 4/12
    Restored Accounts(only shared & datasources): 0/12
    Current Account: xxxxxxx@mydomain3.com
    Restored/Skipped Items: 45650/146
    Unrestored Items: 9

I've been looking through forums posts and for documentation -- Is this a successful or a failed restore at this point?

How do we identify the "Skipped" and "Unrestored" items, what the issue it, and get them repaired if needed and moved over?

pgn
    I repeated the process, and still have unrestored items -- and other errors.

I never receive an email after the migration step; I do see a console report.

Searching for the search query #'s in the report -- both at the Source & Destination servers -- I've been UNable to find the problem messages.

This is the complete @console report:

=======================================
    date: Mon Oct 22 19:06:43 PDT 2012
    This is an automated notification from ZxBackup about External Restore.

Operation External Restore Started.

Operation Id: 5f2dda5d-0842-49d2-b63b-0c59a59ac8fb
    Operation Host: mx.domainA.com
    Operation Log path: /opt/zimbra/log/zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_5f2dda5d-0842-49d2-b63b-0c59a59ac8fb.log

date: Mon Oct 22 19:06:44 PDT 2012

Operation External Restore is still running. Phase 2 (Item Restore) started.

Operation Log path: /opt/zimbra/log/zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_5f2dda5d-0842-49d2-b63b-0c59a59ac8fb.log

Warning: the following admin accounts have been restored: admin@mx.domainA.com

Warnings: 12
    Errors: 2

- ignored ldap attributes -
    zimbraDomainType, zimbraId, zimbraCreateTimestamp, zimbraDomainName, zimbraLastLogonTimestamp

- notes -
    domain domain3.com: cannot resolve GAL Account Id: disabled

date: Mon Oct 22 19:07:57 PDT 2012

Operation External Restore Completed.

Warning: the following admin accounts have been restored: admin@mx.domainA.com

Warnings: 12
    Errors: 2

- ignored ldap attributes -
    zimbraDomainType, zimbraId, zimbraCreateTimestamp, zimbraDomainName, zimbraLastLogonTimestamp

- notes -
    domain domainB.com: cannot resolve GAL Account Id: disabled

- skipped items -
    More about unrestorable items: ZxBackup Troubleshooting - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

account user1@domainA.com search query: item: 18216
    account user2@domainB.com search query: item: 980,8885,9648,9640,9647,9646,9645,9644
    =======================================

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello pgn,

regarding the Unrestorable items:
    if the provided search queries didn't provide any results in the source server, then those items are probably old items which have been deleted from the mailbox uncorrectly (it happens that deletions are not correctly processed by Zimbra, deleting the item data but not its reference in the database).

regarding the Skipped items: those are items which are not meant to be restored (e.g. items already existing in the item map)

In both cases, you won't need to repair anything, as the unrestorable items do not really exist in the source server and the skipped items are not meant to be restored.

Have a nice day,
    Cine