Backing-up backups ?

Thread: Backing-up backups ?

pgn

Backing-up backups ?

I've got Zextras Backup running on a Zibmra8 server.

It's set up to run a mixed schedule of Full & Smart backups daily @ 4am.

They're stored to /opt/zimbra/backups/zextras/... on the Zimbra server.

I now want to backup a fully-recoverable instance of Zimbra to another box, @ network storage.

What's the best method/procedure?

Do I just rsync the Z8 server's /opt/zimbra/backups/zextras folder, or all of /opt/zimbra?

In either case, do I need shutdown the Zimbra server to get the mysql data (via a cold backup?)

THanks

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello PGN,

the best way to achieve this is to have a "spare copy" of your server (a dormant server with Zimbra installed and with the basic Server Configuration applied) ready to be put online in case of an issue with the main server. Keep yout /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ folder rsynced to your network storage and in case of a failure of the primary server just import the data from the network storage to the "spare" server though the "Import Backup" button of ZxBackup.

Keeping a "fully recoverable instance" of Zimbra - a whole copy of the /opt/zimbra directory - is not suggested, as you will need to stop the Zimbra services in order to backup the data.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

pgn
    In the case where a spare Zimbra server is NOT an option, is a copy of "just" /opt/zimbra/backups/zextras enough, then? rsync'd from the Zimbra server to network storage immediately after the Zextras backup's done each day?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello pgn,

if the Real Time Scanner is active you can rsync the /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ at any time and it will always contain the latest data available in the backup.

The option I gave you is still more reliable than the full infrastructure backup even if you don't have a spare server, but you'll need to install Zimbra and apply the basic server configuration before restoring your data.

If you really want to backup your full Zimbra infrastructure you'd have to shut down the zimbra services and rsync the whole /opt/zimbra folder, which contains the zimbra application, data and backup, to your network storage. To restore your infrastructure from this backup you'll need to copy the folder back to a server with the same OS, Architecture, IP addresses and hostname than the original one,install a dummy copy of Zimbra and run the `zmfixperms` utility as root with the --verbose and --extended arguments (see Backing up and restoring Zimbra (Open Source Version) - Zimbra :: Wiki for the full guide in the Zimbra wiki). Mind that if the environment is not exactly the same the Zimbra services will fail to start on the new server, so you need to use extreme caution on this.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

pgn
    > if the Real Time Scanner is active you can rsync the /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ at any time and it will always contain the latest data available in the backup.

ok

> The option I gave you is still more reliable than the full infrastructure backup even if you don't have a spare server, but you'll need to install Zimbra and apply the basic server configuration before restoring your data.

Iiuc, "this" is based on ONLY backing-up & having available and rsync'd copy of the /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras folder. So, for "an emergency" -- understanding that I need to 'install Zimbra and apply the basic server configuration before restoring your data' -- this sounds like the best / safest option.

Is there some documentation/explanation as to what's meant by "more reliable than the full infrastructure backup"? I'd like to understand the differences ...