Best practices for backup
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cine

Thread: Best practices for backup

Senior Member Known ZeXtras Reseller

Lightbulb Best practices for backup

Hello all,

We want to implement ZeXtras solutions on our client's Zimbra servers (and our server of course ). We want to send data on another server (on the same network) I would have tips about a good backup with ZxBackup :

1. Perform an External Backup (complete backup isn't it?) each week on local machine then rsync it to another server (for security & administrative reasons)
    2. rsync the /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ each hour (or less) to another server

We heard that NFS wasn't a good option to directly save data on another server, is that true ?

If the main server crashes, is it possible to rsync the saved /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ on a fresh install and have all my data ? If I rsync data from Real Time Scanner (where are they located ?) more often, is it possible to reduce the loss of data ?

Many thanks in advance for you lights !

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv1 View Post
    Hello all,

We want to implement ZeXtras solutions on our client's Zimbra servers (and our server of course ). We want to send data on another server (on the same network) I would have tips about a good backup with ZxBackup :
    1. Perform an External Backup (complete backup isn't it?) each week on local machine then rsync it to another server (for security & administrative reasons)
    2. rsync the /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ each hour (or less) to another server
    Hello Sylv1!

This two steps will allow you to easily have a remote backup at hand should your current backup path become completely unavailable.
    However, let me clarify (it's very important both for this and your next question) that the "External Backup" procedure will take a snapshot of the configuration and data in your Zimbra server. You will not retain your backup history by importing from an External Backup.

We heard that NFS wasn't a good option to directly save data on another server, is that true ?
    NFS is not a bad choice per-se, it all depends on your network performances... If the data transfer rate is too low you'll end up queueing a lot of backup operations lowering the precision of the restore should your main server fail.
    If a backup operation - e.g. the move of an email - is queued and the system takes 5 minutes to shift the queue on in order to process it, in the event of a crash you won't be able to restore that operation as it was not finalized yet.

If the main server crashes, is it possible to rsync the saved /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ on a fresh install and have all my data ? If I rsync data from Real Time Scanner (where are they located ?) more often, is it possible to reduce the loss of data ?
    The Real Time Scanner saves its data in the Backup Path (the one you set in the ZxBackup tab of the ZeXtras Zimlet).
    If your Zimbra server fails but the data in the Backup Path is safe and usable jsut rsync it to the new server start an External Import using the backup path as the source, while if the data in the backup path is unusable you'll need to rely on an external backup as explained previously.

Many thanks in advance for you lights !
    You are very welcome!

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Senior Member Known ZeXtras Reseller
    Thanks for your response Cine, it seems a good solution !

Cheers,

Sylvain.

Hello!

Cine, just to be sure I got your answer right:
    It is save to rsync just the Backup Path to a remote machine (on a regulare basis) to keep an off-site backup?
    There are no issues to rsync that (huge) directory while the Real Time Scanner is working?

I would love to use the handy rsnapshot tool to keep an off-site backup...

Thanks for your great work!

cheers
    Last edited by Cine; 11-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guedressel View Post
    Hello!

Cine, just to be sure I got your answer right:
    Hello guedressel!

It is save to rsync just the Backup Path to a remote machine (on a regulare basis) to keep an off-site backup?
    Yes! The backup path contains all the data needed for a full system restore, along with your whole backup history...

There are no issues to rsync that (huge) directory while the Real Time Scanner is working?
    It really depends on your storage performances, but the I/O impact of the running Real Time Scanner is neglectible so as long as your storage can keep up with the rsync you are good to go! Just to be sure that everything is running fine, keep an eye on the I/O load - by running as root: `iostat -xm10` - and on the ZeXtras Notifications...

I would love to use the handy rsnapshot tool to keep an off-site backup...
    I never actually used rsnapshot for this, but since it relies on rsync it should not cause any issue and might be worth a try...

Thanks for your great work!

cheers
    You're welcome,
    have a nice day!

Cine

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    It really depends on your storage performances, but the I/O impact of the running Real Time Scanner is neglectible so as long as your storage can keep up with the rsync you are good to go! Just to be sure that everything is running fine, keep an eye on the I/O load - by running as root: `iostat -xm10` - and on the ZeXtras Notifications...
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    The Backup Path in our setup is on a local install RAID (just different LVM volume). Hence the I/O performance should be optimal.
    I asked because it's often a problem to rsync a directory where active write process may run (open, half written files), which could cause corrupt files on the sync-target.
    You don't see this as a problem?

...I asked because it's often a problem to rsync a directory where active write process may run (open, half written files), which could cause corrupt files on the sync-target.
    You don't see this as a problem?
    Don't worry guedressel!
    ZeXtras Backup and specially the Real Time Scanner are designed to always ensure the integrity of the backup store: all changes are always made on a new file that is renamed with a single atomic transaction on filesystem.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Thanks D0s0n.
    Now I'm happy to run my rsnapshots

Hello guedressel!

I've been thinking a bit about the use of rsnapshot to keep a remote copy of the running backup, and I find it a bit overkill for how ZeXtras Backup works.
    The data retention policies of ZeXtras Backup already take care of backup history management, so there is no actual use for having "incremental" remote copies of the running backup. You'll end up with a lot of unneeded files thus wasting precious disk space and inodes.

All in all, a simple rsync would be the best way to set up a remote copy of your backup path...

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Well. yes. Agree.
    rsync is enough - when I think about your statement.

Will adopt my backup plans accordingly...

Thank you Cine and d0s0n for your valuable input.

Have a nice day too :-)