Do ZxBackups include 'at shell' extra configuration, files & data?

Thread: Do ZxBackups include 'at shell' extra configuration, files & data?

pgn

Question Do ZxBackups include 'at shell' extra configuration, files & data?

Hi,

I've recently installed a ZCS CommunityEdition server. For backup I've crafted my own script, but would like something a bit more robust & commercially supported.

Enter, of course, ZxBackup as an attractive option.

Reading through features & documentation online, it's clear that it's capable of backing up Zimbra System & User data.

I'm not clear as to how much of the 'rest' of the ZCS config gets backed up & restored.

As a specific example, I've made @shell modifications such as

created:

Code:
    	/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps
    	chown -R zimbra:zimbra  /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps*
    	su - zimbra -c "postmap /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps"
    	ls -al /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/spamtraps*
    		-rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 3.8K 2012-08-22 06:13 /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps
    		-rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra  12K 2012-08-22 06:14 /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps.db
    	vi /opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_recipient_restrictions.cf
    		+	check_recipient_access hash:/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps
    and, add to the config

Code:
    	su - zimbra
    	zmlocalconfig -e postfix_smtpd_sender_restrictions="check_recipient_access hash:/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps"
    	zmlocalconfig postfix_smtpd_sender_restrictions
    	postfix_smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_recipient_access hash:/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/traps
    Is a 'ZxBackup' all-inclusive, such that a Full backup+restore procedure will maintain those files, their contents, and the config options added to postfix and zmlocal config?

Or, must we manage those items manually?

I _think_ (not quite certain) that I may be asking if ZxBackup backs-up/restore all of /opt/zimbra ... ?

Thanks!

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello pgn,
    welcome to the forums!

The ZeXtras Backup module provides backup and restore for the following kind of items:

- User data
    - User preferences
    - User configuration
    - Domain configuration
    - Class Of Service configuration

The server configuration is backupped and kept for reference, but it's not restorable due to the too many different cases this option would open. It can be viewed with the `zxsuite backup getServerConfig` CLI command.

So, answering to your question, you would need to manage the backup of all server configuration and customized files manually. Mind that backupping the whole /opt/zimbra/ directory would be almost useless in case of a "disaster", I suggest you to create a set of scripts that can backup and re-apply all the custom configurations (I can provide you a sample script if you need).

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

pgn
    Hello Cine,

I understand your comments about what Backup module provides.

I'm concerned byt your comment

/opt/zimbra/ directory would be almost useless in case of a "disaster"
    On of my goals is to HAVE a disaster recovery capability. Currently, using a DIY 'scripts' that backs-up /opt/zimbra after a shutdown of the server, I *can* do a complete disaster-recovery restore. Of course, as you point out, I have to reapply my configs manually.

Could you explain your comment a bit more? IS ZeXtras Backup capable of assistance in the "case of a disaster"?

And, yes, any sample scripts you can provide would probably help in my understanding and evaluation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pgn View Post
    Hello Cine,

I understand your comments about what Backup module provides.

I'm concerned byt your comment

On of my goals is to HAVE a disaster recovery capability. Currently, using a DIY 'scripts' that backs-up /opt/zimbra after a shutdown of the server, I *can* do a complete disaster-recovery restore. Of course, as you point out, I have to reapply my configs manually.

Could you explain your comment a bit more? IS ZeXtras Backup capable of assistance in the "case of a disaster"?

And, yes, any sample scripts you can provide would probably help in my understanding and evaluation.

Thanks
    Hello pgn,

what I meant with my "backupping the whole /opt/zimbra/ directory would be almost useless in case of a "disaster"" is that there is no "one button" disaster recovery procedure, as in the case of the /opt/zimbra/ folder backup you would need to perform a list of tasks in order to have your new system back running. Many people believe that restoring the /opt/zimbra/ folder to a new server would provide a working Zimbra server, I just wanted to specify that this is completely not true.

My suggestion for the easiest (and probably fastest) Disaster Recovery solution would be a "two buttton" procedure:

- A script that stores your custom configs and periodically backups your custom files, so that you can run this script on a vanilla server and apply all your customizations.
    - ZeXtras Backup to restore the data.

Should you have a spare machine you can keep ready for use, things are even easier... Just apply your customizations to both servers and restore the data with ZeXtras Backup when you need it!

I'll put up a sample script you can customize, stay tuned!
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

pgn
    I'll put up a sample script you can customize, stay tuned!
    Thank, that will be useful.

Would it not make sense, ultimately, to add such capability to ZxBackup itself?

Thank, that will be useful.

Would it not make sense, ultimately, to add such capability to ZxBackup itself?
    It's on the "To Do" list

(p.s.: I didn't forget about the script, I just need some more time...)
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

pgn
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    It's on the "To Do" list

(p.s.: I didn't forget about the script, I just need some more time...)
    Of course.

With Zimbra 8.0 GA just released, our first exposure to ZxBackup will likely be with the migration from Zimbra7/Ubuntu10LTS -> Zimbra8/Ubuntu12LTS, with a fair amount of customization.

I'd rather install ZxBackup in our Z7 instances, and backup completely/reliably using your commercial/supported tool *prior* to the Z8 migration.

Given that we're lacking any experience whatsoever with ZxBackup & Restore, and in particular with your "To-Do list" script, can you point to step-by-step documentation for such a procedure? Getting it wrong at this stage would not be good ...

THanks.

Of course.

With Zimbra 8.0 GA just released, our first exposure to ZxBackup will likely be with the migration from Zimbra7/Ubuntu10LTS -> Zimbra8/Ubuntu12LTS, with a fair amount of customization.

I'd rather install ZxBackup in our Z7 instances, and backup completely/reliably using your commercial/supported tool *prior* to the Z8 migration.

Given that we're lacking any experience whatsoever with ZxBackup & Restore, and in particular with your "To-Do list" script, can you point to step-by-step documentation for such a procedure? Getting it wrong at this stage would not be good ...

THanks.
    What I meant with "It's on the To Do list" is that it's a feature we plan to add in the future...

Right now we are 100% focussed on releasing a version of ZeXtras Suite and ZeXtras Migration Tool compatible with Zimbra 8, which is going to happen soon. Then we'll return to our "normal" schedule in order to release the ZeXtras Admin module and to implement the Exchange Active Sync protocol version 12 within ZeXtras Mobile. Once this two tasks are done, we are going to add a list of features which are currently being designed, including a way to backup custom configurations.

Once the new version of ZeXtras Suite is released I'll write an article on the ZeXtras Wiki about Zimbra7-to-Zimbra8 migration, stay tuned

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

pgn
    Where's the best place to "stay tuned" for news/announcements about, e.g., an article, a script, etc?

Hello pgn,

all the official announcements are posted in the "News and Announcements" board on this forum. The RSS feature is enabled for all public forums, so feel free to add the feed (ZeXtras Forums - News and Announcements for the News and Announcements forum) to your favourite aggregator.

Also, all announcements are usually spread through our social network pages:
    - on Facebook -> ZeXtras | Facebook
    - on Twitter -> @ZeXtras
    - on LinkedIn -> the "ZeXtras Suite" group

Technical docs can be found in the ZeXtras Wiki at Main Page - ZeXtras Suite Wiki.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website