'unkown_folders" during backup/restore operation

Thread: 'unkown_folders" during backup/restore operation

'unkown_folders" during backup/restore operation

Hi,

We are restoring on three zimbra servers (8.8.9), the backup we had for a single server with 8.0.9. Servers 2 and 3 are still restoring items but server 1 already finished. We noticed that for some users, the folders had been restored with the wrong name. It looks like this:

Any idea what could be happening?

Thanks!

I have exactly the same issue restoring a ZxMig backup to a new Ubuntu 16.04.5 clean server running a new zcs 8.8.9 install.

I get unknown folder on a number of accounts but not all of them. I need a reliable way to migrate the data and was hoping that zextras was it!

Any help appreciated!

Tony

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Antonical View Post
    I have exactly the same issue restoring a ZxMig backup to a new Ubuntu 16.04.5 clean server running a new zcs 8.8.9 install.

I get unknown folder on a number of accounts but not all of them. I need a reliable way to migrate the data and was hoping that zextras was it!

Any help appreciated!

Tony
    UPDATE

I deleted the accounts that had the issues and then re ran the import on just the affected accounts. The same issue with Unknown Folders is still a problem. All is well on the source server.

Right now I can find no information regarding this issue online and can see no solution without assistance.

Any help appreciated.

Tony

Answer from Support

Cine Today at 09:09
    Hello Anthony,
    thank you for contacting us!

The "UnknownFolder" is a failsafe that is activated when a restore operation is restoring an item which lacks a valid reference to its parent folder: this is usually caused by a corruption of the import path or by I/O issues with it - most commonly when an NFS share is used to hold the import path.

If you are performing an Incremental Migration you can check and fix the source's Backup Path by running a "deep" smartscan with the following command: zxsuite backup doSmartScan deep true.
    If you are using an NFS share to hold the backup path/import path I strongly suggest to move it to a different kind of storage as NFS is usually the most common source of this issue - should you need to quickly transfer the source's backup path to the destination server it's always possible to simply use rsync even when the system is running as our Backup Path has been designed to be self-consistent.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Avatar Anthony Smith Today at 12:12
    Hmm seems weird that is just the first account to be restored and not any of the others. All others succeeded. There are no errors reported doing a consistency and blob check before export. the NFS share is only connected to either the source or destination not both. I will try again by mounting a new drive into the source VM exporting and then detach and attach to the destination VM.

Can you clarify if this is possible:

Do a ZxMig export.
    Import only the configurations Domain, Accounts, Aliases, COS, Account preferences, Folder Structure etc.

Then I can do a mailbox by mailbox export using the zimbra preferences Import/Export capability on the source. This will allow me to be very selective on dates and type of data exported. I can then import on the destination.

Cheers
    Tony

Hi mate,

The unknownfolder thing, as for my experience, happens when the data is corrupted on the backup copy itself. So removing and restoring the affected account won't solve the problem, as the problem still exists on the backup itself.

Performing the scans with the "deep true" as suggested, is the way to go. You could do that only for the accounts with the problems instead of doing it to the whole backup set. I don't have access to any Zimbra right now, but if you write "zxsuite backup" and press enter, you'll see the option to perform account backups. So you can run the backups with the "deep true" only for the affected accounts.

This onliner was the thing I used to detect the accounts on the destination server with the "unkownFolders":

for i in `zmprov -l gaa` ; do echo $i ; zmmailbox -z -m $i gaf | grep -i unknownfolder ; echo " " ; done > /tmp/unknownfolders.txt

Also note that even when the "deep scan" is used, it will not always fix the "unknownfolders", as I need to do it up to 3 times to fix all the "unknownfolders" in my backup set (2.500 users with about 6TB of info...only 11 users affected with unknownFolders).

I guess 2 things could be improved here:
    1. The info given in some wikis, like this one https://wiki.zextras.com/wiki/ZxBack...ZeXtras_Backup -> "...Again, anything that suits your needs is ok"
    2. Error reporting, should be aware of such source/backup set inconsistencies. If not while performing the backup (most desirable), at least when it restores it and the mechanism to rename a folder with the default "unknownfolder" is used.

As for my case, I'll start recomending all my customers that use ZeXtras Backup to put a crontab task for running a weekly "deep scan". Otherwise, we face the risk of realizing their backup is partly corrupted when they need it the most.

good luck!!!
    edit: Ohh I forgot, as explained by Cine in other thread, yes, the only way to fix the unknownfolder if you already restored the account, would be to delete the account and restore it again once you fixed the backup set by running a scan with the "deep true" option.
    Last edited by pup_seba; 10-13-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pup_seba View Post
    Hi mate,

The unknownfolder thing, as for my experience, happens when the data is corrupted on the backup copy itself. So removing and restoring the affected account won't solve the problem, as the problem still exists on the backup itself.

Performing the scans with the "deep true" as suggested, is the way to go. You could do that only for the accounts with the problems instead of doing it to the whole backup set. I don't have access to any Zimbra right now, but if you write "zxsuite backup" and press enter, you'll see the option to perform account backups. So you can run the backups with the "deep true" only for the affected accounts.

This onliner was the thing I used to detect the accounts on the destination server with the "unkownFolders":

for i in `zmprov -l gaa` ; do echo $i ; zmmailbox -z -m $i gaf | grep -i unknownfolder ; echo " " ; done > /tmp/unknownfolders.txt

Also note that even when the "deep scan" is used, it will not always fix the "unknownfolders", as I need to do it up to 3 times to fix all the "unknownfolders" in my backup set (2.500 users with about 6TB of info...only 11 users affected with unknownFolders).

I guess 2 things could be improved here:
    1. The info given in some wikis, like this one https://wiki.zextras.com/wiki/ZxBack...ZeXtras_Backup -> "...Again, anything that suits your needs is ok"
    2. Error reporting, should be aware of such source/backup set inconsistencies. If not while performing the backup (most desirable), at least when it restores it and the mechanism to rename a folder with the default "unknownfolder" is used.

As for my case, I'll start recomending all my customers that use ZeXtras Backup to put a crontab task for running a weekly "deep scan". Otherwise, we face the risk of realizing their backup is partly corrupted when they need it the most.

good luck!!!
    edit: Ohh I forgot, as explained by Cine in other thread, yes, the only way to fix the unknownfolder if you already restored the account, would be to delete the account and restore it again once you fixed the backup set by running a scan with the "deep true" option.
    Hi,

I was suspicious of this issue. I do not believe there is any corruption in the backup set so to prove that I started with a new 8.8.9 install and then did a provision only on the same backup set.

Once that was done I then did a mailbox export with a subset of emails I guessed on the time period to ensure the folders were existing on the source zimbra for the affected user.

I then logged in to the destination server account and imported the zimbra mailbox backup which correctly created all of the folders and mail etc.

I then did a full restore of all accounts

No Unknown Folder problem on restore this time. If the backup was corrupted it should have created Unknown Folders.

Cheers
    Spart