Question Restore/migrate to new server for test enviorment

Thread: Question Restore/migrate to new server for test enviorment

Question Restore/migrate to new server for test enviorment

Hi

What is the easiest/fastest way to restore our running zxbackup to a new server ? New server is same OS, and contains a fresh zimbra install (8.6).
    The goal is to "simulate" upgradring from 8.6 to 8.7. , if everthing goes smoothly we can do the upgrade on the production server. Currently running zextras version 2.2.4 on the production server.

Dont really need to restore all accounts etc, just server settings , and some test accounts.

I have read some "guides" on your wikie on the topic, but it gets confusing

Hi jalle,

there are many ways to replicate your server in a test enviroment, but if you want to replicate only the server settings you need to follow another strategy because Zextras backup doesn't restore them. Take a look at owr WIKI:
    Server and Global settings are backed up but are not restored automatically: ZeXtras Backup's high-level integration with Zimbra allows you to restore your data to a server with a different OS/Zimbra Release/Networking/Storage setup without any constraints other than the minimum Zimbra version required to run ZeXtras Suite.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Thank you for the answer. Seems to me that server config is not needed, so i will just run something like :

zxsuite backup doexternalrestore /opt/zimbra/backup/restorePath/ accounts john@example.com,jack@example.com domains example.com filter_deleted false skip_system_accounts false

As i dont need all accounts etc restored, on the test server.

H jalle,

in my humble opinion, this is a good test for the restore process but not for simulating the upgrade because is like upgrading a new 8.6 server...

my 2 cents.
    D0s0n

you got a point Is the restore of the config then a fully "manuell" job ? As i see its stated from the wiki Server and Global settings are backed up but are not restored automatically
    Or is there some command for server config restore ?

...now that we understand each other, I guess you need to find another way to replicate your server in a test enviroment... or, if you are running in a virtual enviroment (like vmware), you can try to isolate your server, take a snapshot of all your virtual disks and try to upgrade without risks

D0s0n