Moving Zimbra VM to new server
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By phoenix
  • 1 Post By samgreco

Thread: Moving Zimbra VM to new server

Moving Zimbra VM to new server

Hello all,

First, I have been so pleased with the Zextras Suite. I never have to think about it. It just works.

So I have an Ubunutu 12.04 LTS based 8.6 install in a VMWare VM. I have built a new server that is running Hyper-V, so I need to convert the image file. My thinking was to do this overnight to minimize downtime, etc. But can I bring down the current VM, copy the image over, then fire it back up while I get the conversion done. Then backup anything on the old one and restore to the new before I bring it up on the network?

Does this seem like a logical way to do it?

I have thought about building a new VM from scratch and migrating, but it seems unnecessary since the current one has been running so well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You need to convert the image to run it on Hyper-V - take a look at the converter here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh967435.aspx
    Cine likes this.

Actually, I used WinImage. It was on old VMWare Server 2.0 and that's the only converter that would convert those older VMWare VMs. I had moved two other servers already. I was more concerned with loss of email, so I wanted to keep the old one up while the conversion was happening and then backup and restore any messages that came in while the move/conversion was taking place. But it went so well that I was done in under an hour so didn't worry about it. I just left the mail server down for that hour. and it's done.

Thanks.
    d0s0n likes this.