Information about ZxBackup compression %

Thread: Information about ZxBackup compression %

Information about ZxBackup compression %

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here, and in my company we are in testing phase with ZCS open source 8.6 and zextras.
    I migrate all accounts from our actual server (zarafa), looks fine, activate zxbackup (initialization, configuration), i configure a NFS share for zxbackup path, all seems OK, but i have a question :
    What is the compression % for the backup ? we have a store size of about 500 GB but the backup total size is only 200 GB (retention is configure to 30 days). Is it normal ?

PS : sorry for my bad english, but i didn't write in english for a long time ^^

ZeXtras Channel Manager Pittoni's Avatar
    Hi Frank, welcome to our forums.

Well done! Thank you for your trust in our product.

Like you can read in our webpage our "Backup" module compresses and deduplicates your data. The average backup store will be 70% of the size of the current data contained in the server after more than 30 days with the default settings.
    Remind that in the future the dimension of your backup should increase because the people will delete the some old mail and they will receive others news while the backup path will keep them all for the retention period, for this reason I'lll suggest also to check the Powerstore module, it will help you to save more space and manage better your storage.
    Sincerely

Alberto Pittoni
    Channel Manager
    ZeXtras

Thx for your answer.
    I have ZxPowerStore (i take the full Zxbundle for 300 mailboxes yearly, waiting for zimbra 9 to take a perpetual licence) with HSM configured.
    For my problem, calculating 70% of the store or the path /opt/zimbra/ , i have 475GB and 500 GB, in both cases, 200 GB (size of backup) is not 70%. can i verify that the backup is correct ?

Hi Frank,

your 200Gb may be correct, you can test it by trying to restore all data on a new server... The big difference is due to deduplication and compression of your store, and of course the missing retention at the beginning.
    To optimize your main store occupation you can try the "deduplication" button on the powerstore module for your main volume and by adding a new secondary volume (with the compress flag enabled) and moving all data older than a month in that secondary store. You'll get an occupation similar to the backup path.

Have a nice day.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Thx for your reply. I used deduplication and it's great, i win around 140 Go of free space on primary volume (deduplication not finished). For the backup (if i calculate with deduplication) it's much more consistent.
    For ZxPowerStore i don't have for now a secondary volume because i don't know how to add it. We use a proxmox hypervisor, zimbra + primary volume is in A VM (ISCSI on a SAN) + Zimbra proxy on a physical server (DMZ).
    How can i add a secondary volume to the Zimbra VM (and ZxPowerStore) and keeping security and performance ? Do i add a Virtual Volume on the SAN ? (primary and secondary volume on the same SAN maybe nonsense, i'm not sure). Or other solution is possible with this type of infrastructure? if this last question must be in another thread, i move it ... thx !
    Last edited by franck_wiatrowski; 08-19-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Hi Frank,

the adding a secondary volume is very simple and you can start using the same storage, especially in a test enviroment, later you'll want to redesign your disks if you have different storage tiers. Primary and secondary volume on the same SAN can make sense if you only need to save space and you don't have a cheaper LUN on your SAN enviroment...
    I can give you an hint: when you import all data from your old server you can use a new primary active compressed volume and after the migration you'll can use it as secondary, so make your own tests to find the better solution on your case

Have a nice day.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Thx a lot. I will finalize test before deployment. I have other question (about zxchat). I open a new thread for that. Thx again.