Incremental Migration via NFS - Network File System

Thread: Incremental Migration via NFS - Network File System

Incremental Migration via NFS - Network File System

Hi All,

I tried to do some searching for this already, but NFS is too small (3 letters) to use in a search.

I'm preparing for an incremental migration from one server to another using ZX Backup. I've read the instructions for doing this using rsync or similar to move the completed backup to a new location for restoring on the new server. Since I'm working with almost 700 accounts and around 400GB of data, I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid the time needed for the rsync process.

I was wondering if there would be a problem with just using an NFS mount for this? Both the source and destination servers could mount the same NFS share and I wouldn't have to make a copy. I assume that I would need to disable ZX Backup on the source server after I've finished the Smart Scan, and only re-enable it when the destination server is not using it to restore.

Since we are running in a vSphere environment, another alternative might be use a dedicated VMDK disk that is hot added and removed from the source and destination servers as we go through the backup and restore operations. This would be more work (Hot add, Hot remove, repeat....), so I'd prefer to use the NFS setup if that will work.

Would either of these solutions work? Does anyone have any experience doing a migration without copying the data?

Thanks for your help!

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello bhotrock,
    welcome to the forums!

The type of storage device/technology is completely transparent for any migration mean as long as it has a mountpoint on the server, but I usually advice against using NFS shares due to the fact that usually those don't shine in the performance compartment and setting up the appropriate flags and permissions is necessary in order to avoid I/O issues during the migration while multiple incremental rsyncs are much more straightforward.
    All in all, however, it's all a matter of personal choice: using the technologies and methods you feel most comfortable with is the best approach to the migration - just run some tests to make sure that your NFS share is properly set up before starting

Should you choose the NFS way, you won't need to stop the RealTime Scanner at all - as the Backup Path of the source server would be used as the "import" path on the destination and not as its Backup Path. Using the same backup path on 2 servers is not possible as each backup path is locked and can be only used as the backup path of the server which initialized it due to the fact that mailbox and item IDs change between servers.

Using a dedicated VMDK is another valid solution, but it's the one that requires more interaction among the three solutions you mentioned...

Please feel free to ask any question you might have!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Thanks Cine! Great information! I'll do some testing and see what's the fastest way in our environment.