Migration with Backup/Restore is uncomplete

Thread: Migration with Backup/Restore is uncomplete

Migration with Backup/Restore is uncomplete

Dear zextras-team,

I did a migration to a new server and we followed your suggestions from ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki.

The procedure and the switching to new server went well. In at least one account I'm missing some mails (about 15 or 20). The old system ist still alive (but gets no new mails) so I can easy compare between old and new.

We have about 100 users and the size of the Zextras backup folder is about 500GB.

What I did after switching:

- another backup (smartscan) export from the old system (took about 8 hours)

ZeXtras Version: 1.10.2
    ZeXtras commit: 5fa7c70acf715a78c825bdac8babbe223627b40b
    ZAL Version: 1.5.2
    ZAL commit: 5fa7c70acf715a78c825bdac8babbe223627b40b
    Zimbra version: 8.0.8_GA_6184 20140925170008 20140925-1704 FOSS

- stats -
    accounts: 116
    skipped accounts(by COS): 0
    metadata: 880693
    files: 658836
    checked items: 880693
    backup path: /backup/zextras
    skipped items: 0
    I/O read exception: 0
    num skipped files: 0
    items/sec: 30

- imported the backup again for the specific user with GUI

ZeXtras Version: 1.10.2
    ZeXtras commit: 5fa7c70acf715a78c825bdac8babbe223627b40b

Zal Version: 1.5.2
    Zal commit: 5fa7c70acf715a78c825bdac8babbe223627b40b
    Zimbra version: 8.0.8_GA_6184 20140925165809 20140925-1701 FOSS

Warnings: 0
    Errors: 0

- stats -
    Restored Items: 15
    Skipped Items: 22575
    Unrestored Items: 0

Unfortunately the mails are still not complete.

Can You give me a hint?

Best regards,

Danny

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Danny,
    welcome to the forums!

First of all, I suggest to have a look at the "Unrestorable Items" ZeXtras Wiki page: it contains some good pointers about the difference between skipped and unrestored items along with some troubleshooting info about the latter. Also, make sure that no COS are excluded from the backup in either server.

Additional info can be found in the External Restore logs found in the /opt/zimbra/log/ directory of the destinatio server, which contain import information about all items (so you can search within this logs for specific item IDs if needed).

If you find any item which is in the source server but cannot be found in the import path please feel free to send me the item as an attachment to community@zextras.com - I'll be more than glad to further investigate the causes.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello cine,

thanks for Your quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    First of all, I suggest to have a look at the "Unrestorable Items" ZeXtras Wiki page: it contains some good pointers about the difference between skipped and unrestored items along with some troubleshooting info about the latter. Also, make sure that no COS are excluded from the backup in either server.

Additional info can be found in the External Restore logs found in the /opt/zimbra/log/ directory of the destinatio server, which contain import information about all items (so you can search within this logs for specific item IDs if needed).

If you find any item which is in the source server but cannot be found in the import path please feel free to send me the item as an attachment to community@zextras.com - I'll be more than glad to further investigate the causes.
    I already read the information about unrestorable items before I posted here. But referring to the import-report, there is no unrestorable item (see my first post), only skipped or restored items.

I did an smartscan of the old system again to ensure the backup directory is complete. I still can not find the missed mails in the backupfolder of the old system with:

Code:
    zxsuite backup doItemSearch ACCOUTNAME type message search_string "SpecificTextString" search_filter all
    I also checked successfully, that I can find mails that are successfully transfered during migration to the new server in the backupfolder of the old system, in the same way.

Best regards,

Danny

Hello Danny!

Have you checked whether all of your Classes of Service are included in the backup?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello cine,

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Have you checked whether all of your Classes of Service are included in the backup?
    There are only two (default and defaultExternal) and both are included in the backup.

Danny

Hello Danny,

I'm honestly a bit puzzled... Was the Backup Path of the source server initialized for the migration or was it used by the server for some time?

A RealTime Scanner outage/issue or a backup path corruption might be the culprit, could you please run a "deep" SmartScan (`zxsuite backup doSmartScan deep true`) and see if this helps? If not, please also try a BLOB coherency check (`zxsuite backup doCoherencyCheck /backup/zextras/ fixBackup true`)...

Also, in order to check whether missing items are in the backup path, could you please try the "getItem" command instead of the "doItemSearch" one?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras team

Hello cine,

first I used the regular backup path used by the source server for some time. When I discovered the problem I tried a new export to a different path -same result.

I will try your suggestions, thank you!

How can I get the item-number for "zxsuite backup getItem " for a specific message in Zimbra?

Danny

Hello Danny!

The easiest way to obtain the itemID of an item is to right click it in the Zimbra WebClient, click on "Show Original" and check the "id=" part of the pop-up's URL (only take the numbers into account)... The same trick also works with the Print feature, for those items lacking the "Show Original" features such as briefcase files.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 01-22-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Bad grammar day

Lightbulb

Hello cine,

good news first:
    everything cleared up! The migration was successfull and complete.

Thanks to your help and your tip how to get the number of the items, I could track the way of the "missed" items in the logs and found them marked as "deleted".
    "Somebody" deleted them immediately after clearance for production use.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your assistance.

Have a nice day!

Danny

Hello Danny!

No problem at all, glad this was all sorted out

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team