mysql database corrupted - had to destroy and re-build. Now unable to restore.

Thread: mysql database corrupted - had to destroy and re-build. Now unable to restore.

mysql database corrupted - had to destroy and re-build. Now unable to restore.

I had a corrupted mysql zimbra database which I had to destroy and re-build. What is the best way to restore my accounts from ZE? When I import a backup it imports no messages.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Myriad!

Could you please be a bit more specific about your MySQL issue and how you solved it, and provide the information mentioned in section 3.1 and 3.6 of the "How to report a ZeXtras Suite issue" guide (send the relevant logs to community@zextras.com)?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

I executed the following commands on 8.6.0_GA_1153.FOSS:
    zmcontrol stop
    rm -rf /opt/zimbra/db/data/*
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmyinit

Then I restored the files from zextras. I noticed that when I used 'The most recent time possible' option I got a single recovered items folder so I just restored to an earlier period and it all seems to work ok now.

Hello Myriad!

Unfortunately what you did is noto guaranteed to return your system to a valid state, and has a slight chance of breaking your backup's consistency. I'd suggest to start from scratch on a new server following the Disaster Recovery guide on the ZeXtras Wiki (http://wiki.zextras.com/wiki/Zx_Back...aster_Recovery)

Have a nice day,
    Cine

If I re-import using the advice in the link: "Using the old ZeXtras Store folder as the import path allows you to restore a basic installation of Zimbra to the last valid moment of your old server." Will that backup be usable or will it be corrupted by my previous actions?
    BTW: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmdbintegrityreport -v returns: no errors found
    Last edited by Myriad; 01-20-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Hello Myriad!

I've discussed your case with the devs, and the best bet to return to a consistent state would be to begin anew on a new server but using the "Restore On New Account" option instead of the External Restore specifying the most recent moment possible before the database crash as the restore date.

This is because by deleting and re-initializing the database both your current LDAP and ZeXtras Backup Path have been compromised: LDAP still contains old data which is now unaccessible unless you do so manually, and the Backup Path lost its consistency due to itemID duplication - since the Database kept track of those.

Executing multiple Restore on New Accounts can be easily scripted via the ZeXtras CLI (`zxsuite backup doRestoreOnNewAccount` for more info).

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team