Moving Servers / Migrating
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moving Servers / Migrating

Moving Servers / Migrating

Hello Guys,

We are running the backup software and moving data to our new servers and all is working well, until this stumbling block, we have the last of the accounts to move and currently they are running about 150GB of data the server is 300GB I have set the retention policy down to 1 day and I have now removed all the accounts that have been migrated successfully but itís still must have these in the backup retention as the size hasnít come down?
    So the accounts I need to move have around 150GB of data

The server is:
    size: 300GB
    Used: 192GB
    Avail 85GB
    Use: 70%

Basically if I run the last backup I will run out of space, is there a way that I can remove the backup and the run a smartscan again or is there an easier way to export the data to the new servers directly rather than it exporting to the local machine.

Or will the backup squash the 150GBdown to fit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nosher

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Nosher,
    welcome to the forums!

In order for deleted items to be expunged after going out of the retention period, a Backup Purge is needed: you can either wait for the scheduled run - once a week, by default on Saturday night - or run it manually.

Other than this, you could run a deduplication on your volumes in order to save some disk space, but of course this would only help in case the Backup/Export path is on the same storage as the volumes.

[EDIT]By the way, deleting the backup and then re-initializing it in order to just export the last account(s) is indeed a solution

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 01-16-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Thanks Cine

Just out of interest if the Data required to backup is 150GB and the server ZeXtras exporting the backup to /opt/zimbra/backup/myfolder on the same server what is the % it reduces the backup to is it 50%?

I am running the purge now and at the moment I have around 93GB free.

If I delete the backup and then reset the reinitializing is it ok to delete everything inside the current path i.e ?

/backup/zextras

accounts
    backupstat
    dirtylist
    items
    lock_fd00
    map_a75
    server
    smartstat

Thanks Cine for your feedback and time, we are trying to get all this data off by tonight so I do appreciate your reply

Once again Thanks

Nosher

Hello Nosher,
    glad I could be of help!

The compression ratio of ZeXtras Backup varies based on the kind of items it backs up but usually it's between 30% and 50%.

You can freely delete the whole backup path on the source server, as the mapfiles needed for the import are stored on the destination server. Make sure to stop the RealTime scanner before deleting the content of the backup path, as soon as all files are deleted the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet will show the backup path as uninitialized and you'll be able to initialize it again.

However, I'd like to ask a question: in your last post you mention both "/opt/zimbra/backup/myfolder" and "backup/zextras" - are you using the "External Backup" feature to export your data to "/opt/zimbra/backup/myfolder" and have an active ZeXtras Backup Path in "/opt/zimbra/backup/zextras"?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Hi Cine

Yes you are absolutely correct, now should I just tar the "/opt/zimbra/backup/zextras" folder and shift that to the destination server?

Nosher

Quote Originally Posted by Nosher View Post
    Hi Cine

Yes you are absolutely correct, now should I just tar the "/opt/zimbra/backup/zextras" folder and shift that to the destination server?

Nosher
    Hello Nosher!

I'd use rsync instead of tar (see the Incremental Migration guide for more info about this)...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Thanks Cine

I will take a look and post back how I get on

Nosher

Dear Cine,

The data transfer went well and now we are just waiting for these large mailboxes to restore I can see that it has finished 1 of the largest but cant see which one its doing now or even if the restore process is still running, is there a way to check?

Also I see it started a smart scan this morning and finish a smart scan would that effect the processes at all?

Many thanks

Nosher

Cine sorry about the post I have found it, I was just worried that the scan might have stopped the restore

Many Thanks

Nosher

Hello Nosher!

No problem at all, all questions are welcome
    Just to add a bit of info, running a SmartScan during a restore will only affect the import in the measure it affects the I/O load and memory on the server: it's usually neglectible, but if you're already high on I/O usage it could slow down the import a bit (this of course applies to everything, not just ZxBackup operations).

By the way, you can check the status of the import running the "zxsuite backup monitor {operation_id}" command: you'll find the exact command you need to run on the "Operation Started" notification...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast