Zextras Backup + Bacula

Thread: Zextras Backup + Bacula

Question Zextras Backup + Bacula

Good Afternoon...

We use the software Bacula for Backup, I know that ZXBackup works fine, but i'd like to know if we use the bacula software to backup the /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras and store on a tape drive, it's ok to do a disaster recover from the server???
    This procedure need to be done with the zimbra server online or we need to stop the services???

Thanks

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello rodrigo_car,
    welcome to the forums!

Storing a copy of your backup path on a tape drive is a great way to ensure a suitable disaster recovery policy should things go extremely wrong, so green light on that!
    You won't need to stop any Zimbra service when copying your backup path to the tape drive, as ZeXtras Backup is designed to be self-consistent at any time (see HERE for more info about additional/offsite backups of the ZeXtras Backup store).

According to the number of users and items in your infrastructure, you might want to consider storing something "lower level" than the backup path, such as a vdisk/lvm snapshot of the storage device containing the backup path. I'd strongly suggest to run some performance tests and chose accordingly...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Thanks

Thanks for your quick response....

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello rodrigo_car,
    welcome to the forums!

Storing a copy of your backup path on a tape drive is a great way to ensure a suitable disaster recovery policy should things go extremely wrong, so green light on that!
    You won't need to stop any Zimbra service when copying your backup path to the tape drive, as ZeXtras Backup is designed to be self-consistent at any time (see HERE for more info about additional/offsite backups of the ZeXtras Backup store).

According to the number of users and items in your infrastructure, you might want to consider storing something "lower level" than the backup path, such as a vdisk/lvm snapshot of the storage device containing the backup path. I'd strongly suggest to run some performance tests and chose accordingly...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team