How to do an off-site backup of the Zextras backup files now that full scan is gone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to do an off-site backup of the Zextras backup files now that full scan is gone

ZeXtras Betatester

How to do an off-site backup of the Zextras backup files now that full scan is gone

Hi, on existing servers in the past, I have disabled real-time scanning and just have a full scan done each night and then rsync this to an off-site server. Now that Full scan is gone and the Zextras backup is changing constantly, how is one supposed to ensure a consistent set of files to backup each night?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello msutherland25!

With the FullScan feature gone, the "SmartScan" is what you're looking for: it does the same kind of scan that the old FullScan did minus the purge part, which is now done by the "Purge" operation.

The automatic scan scheduling in ZeXtras Backup will, by default, run a SmartScan nightly and will once a week run a purge aswell, while if you have set up a scheduled script to handle your backup changing it so that it'll run a SmartScan instead of a FullScan and a Purge afterwards will do the trick.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello msutherland25!

It looks like I misunderstood the second sentence of your post: the ZeXtras Backup dataset is specifically designed to be 100% self-consistent at any time, so instead of running a nightly SmartScan the best way to have an offsite backup is simply to rsync the backup path (either with or without the --delete option, according to your preference) to a remote location.

Please have a look at Taking Additional and Offsite backups of ZxBackup's Datastore - ZeXtras Suite Wiki for more info about this topic.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

ZeXtras Betatester
    Cine,

I am using rsync to take an off-site copy of the zextras backup folder once I know that the nightly SmartScan has completed (I just have to guess at how long this might take). What I am absolutely not clear about is what happens by default early on a Saturday. The Zextras log says that it has just done a Purge (which took nearly an hour in my case). So the question is "has it just done a purge of deleted items over the time limit or has it is also updated the backup as well?". If it only deleted old items then this means that I DO NOT have an off-site backup of what happened in my Zimbra for the last 24 hours. Your documentation just does not explain this process properly. Please can you be absolutely clear about what the default Zextras backup schedule provides and if the default schedule does not provide a full backup every 24 hours then how I should configure so that it does. Many thanks

Hello msutherland25!

"SmartScan" and "Purge" are two separated operations and are not related one with the other: the former is a coherency check made to make sure that the backup path is fully updated and coherent with the live data, while the latter removes from the backup path any deleted item out of the retention period.
    The default scheduling policy runs a SmartScan nightly and a weekly Purge (the SmartScan is still executed on the night the Purge is executed).

I've just updated the ZeXtras Backup Admin guide with more information about both the Backup Purge and the SmartScan, thank you for the heads-up!

I wish to clarify, however, that ZxBackup's main backup engine is the RealTime Scanner and that the whole module is designed and optimized accordingly.
    Only relying on the SmartScan (and Purge) provides a coherent backup, but only the RealTime Scanner is capable to keep track of the full history of any items and to safeguard any item created and deleted between two SmartScan executions allowing for the best precision and performances.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

ZeXtras Betatester

Zextras backup

Zextras log2.JPGZextras log.JPGHi Cine,

I do understand what you are saying. What concerns me is that you say that by default on a Saturday morning at 01:00 it does both a smartscan and purge, but that is not what the log says. It only says that a purge has been done. Is this a bug in logging mechanism? Are you sure that it is doing both?

Please see attached logs...

Thanks,

Martin

Hello Martin!

I'm running some tests to check for any possible issues, could you please tell me:
    - The version of Zimbra installed on your server?
    - The output of the `zxsuite backup getAllOperations` command.
    - The output of the `zxsuite backup getProperty` command.
    - Whether notification emails about both the Purge and the SmartScan were delivered to the notification recipient or not.

If you could also send the mailbox.log file for the day on which the Purge is ran to community@zextras.com it would be of great help.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

ZeXtras Betatester

Zextras backup

Hi,

Release 8.5.0_GA_3042.RHEL6_64_20140828192109 RHEL6_64 NETWORK edition.

[zimbra@zimbra root]$ zxsuite backup getAllOperations

operationList
    realTimeScanOperations 0

[zimbra@zimbra root]$ zxsuite backup getProperty

ZxBackup_DoSmartScanOnStartup false (false)
    ZxBackup_DestPath /mnt/sdb1/opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/ (/opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/)
    ZxBackup_SmartScanSchedulingEnabled true (true)
    ZxBackup_SpaceThreshold 1024 (1024)
    ZxBackup_BackupCustomizations true (true)
    ZxBackup_ModuleEnabledAtStartup true (true)
    ZxBackup_PurgeWeekDay 6 (6)
    ZxBackup_PurgeCustomizations true (true)
    ZxBackup_SmartScanStartTime 1 (4)
    ZxBackup_DataRetentionDays 30 (30)
    ZxBackup_RealTimeScanner false (true)

Please find attached the zimbra mailbox log for the day that the purge would have run as requested. Please remove the .zip from the end, this is a gz file

Regards,

Martin
    Last edited by Cine; 11-04-2014 at 02:02 PM.

ZeXtras Betatester
    I can also confirm that the emails sent match the log eg. on the 1st November, it only mentions the start and finish of a purge operation...

Thank you Martin!

I've downloaded the attachment and removed it from your post, will report back as soon as possible!

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast