CBPolicyd instructions on this website are wrong
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mishikal

Thread: CBPolicyd instructions on this website are wrong

CBPolicyd instructions on this website are wrong

Please do *not* follow the mistaken instructions on this website. They completely break Zimbra's integration with CBPolicyd. The official documentation for enabling cbpolicyd in Zimbra can be found here: Postfix Policyd - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hopefully the administrators of this forum will delete the two bad threads about cbpolicyd posted here.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello mishikal,
    welcome to the forums!

I' am really glad that finally the Zimbra Wiki page got updated with proper informations about CBPolicyD!
    I'll make sure to have a look at the docs, I will integrate the two posts with any missing data and delete any unneeded informations.

However, since the documentation I wrote on this website is still, as far as I know, valid and working for all Zimbra versions mentioned in the threads themselves, would you mind to please explain which errors you found and in which way the docs "completely break Zimbra's integration with CBPolicyd"?
    The two guides posted here allow you to enable CBPolicyD (and its WebUI to allow an easier and better administration) on all Zimbra versions previous to 8.0.3 and have been used by a lot of people, so in order to provide the best service possible I'd like to know what I could change to improve the guides.

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello mishikal,
    However, since the documentation I wrote on this website is still, as far as I know, valid and working for all Zimbra versions mentioned in the threads themselves, would you mind to please explain which errors you found and in which way the docs "completely break Zimbra's integration with CBPolicyd"?
    Starting with http://forums.zextras.com/zimbra-how...a-7-1-1-a.html

step 2: Incorrect. The zimbraServiceInstalled attribute should not be modified.

step 3: Incorrect. That is for zmpostfixpolicyd and has zero to do with cbpolicyd/cluebringer

step 4: Incorrect. People continually beak their Zimbra configurations by running this command.

step 6: Incorrect. Nothing should be restarted, zmconfigd will set up and restart everything

webUI: This is deliberately not set up, as it requires the zimbra-spell package be installed, which is not part of the MTA package. A standalone MTA will never be able to use the webui. End users are better served using the documented command line procedures for setup since any multi-node site is not going to be able to use the webui anyway.

The only useful bit of information that exists in the ZCS7 thread is the cronjob to clean up the DB.

Moving on to http://forums.zextras.com/zimbra-how...0-8-0-1-a.html

1) See above about why the webUI is not provided

2) Initializing the database is already done automatically by zmconfigd once the service is enabled. The manual step is not necessary.

Essentially, the ZCS8 thread should be deleted, as there is no valid information on it.

As an aside, I would note that ZCS 8 ships a verson of cbpolicyd not available for download directly from the cluebringer website. It is based off of their most recent code in SVN. ZCS 8.0.4 fixes issues with cluebringer.conf not matching the cluebringer release, which is why some modules weren't listed as available.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello mishikal,
    thank you for your detailed report, I'm just done editing the guides to include your suggestions!

Allow me to respond point by point:
    Starting with http://forums.zextras.com/zimbra-how...a-7-1-1-a.html

step 2: Incorrect. The zimbraServiceInstalled attribute should not be modified.

The editing of this attribute has been added because I found that in Zimbra 7.1.x and 7.2.0 editing attributes like the MTA Trusted Networks through the Zimbra Administration Control triggers a config rewrite that does not set the "+zimbraServiceEnabled cbpolicyd" attribute properly, thus disabling CBpolicyd, unless the "+
    zimbraServiceInstalled cbpolicyd" attribute is set.

step 3: Incorrect. That is for zmpostfixpolicyd and has zero to do with cbpolicyd/cluebringer

My bad, I removed the step from the guide.

step 4: Incorrect. People continually beak their Zimbra configurations by running this command.

The proper zimbraMtaRestriction has been added by default just recently, thus the guide states "I
    n most recent Zimbra versions a CBpolicyD zimbraMtaRestriction exists. If not, add a new one". The line added by default in newest Zimbra versions contains multiple references to variables that didn't exist before so I preferred to add the "as is" line.

step 6: Incorrect. Nothing should be restarted, zmconfigd will set up and restart everything

Just as above, please remember that the guide is targeted for Zimbra 7.1.1 - had to manually restart because
    zmconfigd did not kick in.

webUI: This is deliberately not set up, as it requires the zimbra-spell package be installed, which is not part of the MTA package. A standalone MTA will never be able to use the webui. End users are better served using the documented command line procedures for setup since any multi-node site is not going to be able to use the webui anyway.

Thank you for the clarification, I added the proper informations to both guides.

Moving on to http://forums.zextras.com/zimbra-how...0-8-0-1-a.html

[...]

2) Initializing the database is already done automatically by zmconfigd once the service is enabled. The manual step is not necessary.

Please note that that guide is targeted for Zimbra 8.0.0 and 8.0.1. In those versions the database was not initialized by default and a manual initialization was necessary. The command itself is the one suggested in the CBPolicyD documentation (
    installing [PolicyD]).

Other than for adding the aforementioned fixes, I edited the guides to display a link to the official documentation so that users running newest versions of Zimbra than the ones targeted by the guides are pointed to the right direction!

Have a nice day (and keep up the great work),
    Cine

Thanks, they look much better now!
    d0s0n and Cine like this.