Migration without creation new accounts

Thread: Migration without creation new accounts

Migration without creation new accounts

Hello all. Please advice me in that question.

I want to migrate our old Zimbra 7 system to the new Zimbra and new server. We had many users in our system and significant traffic. First of all I want to create all existed user accounts on the new server. That will be done by script. After that we planning to start our new system and users will be able to login and send-receive mail. After that I want to starting migration process through Zextras Migration Tool, and users will receive their existing mail time by time in their new accounts. In that way Zextras Suite will be able to import messages into already existed accounts (without creating new one). Is this option supported by the Zextras suite?

Thanks.

Hi anonymous0,

you don't need to create your accounts by a script because the import process can do it for you in a better way. What you are planning to do is exactly what we called and documented as the Incremental Migration, so I suggest you to read carefully that wiki page before start your migration.

Have a nice day.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Hello. Thanks for the advice.

I read increamental migration guide. A couple of questions to clarify.

Am i right, that we must to do:

1) FullScan operation on production server (assume it doing to disk A).
    2) DoExternalRestore operation from disk A on new server.

When we'll do FullScan operation again on production server to the same disk A (that contains data from previous FullScan), it'll be fast because only newer changes going to synchronize.
    And again, second DoExternalRestore operation from disk A on new server will merge only new data into already restored server, that must be also faster.

Am I on the right way ?

Our full plan is here:

1) Do FullScan on production server (to disk A)
    2) Do restore on new server (from disk A).
    3) We had an MTA relay between Zimbra and internet. Now switch this relay to saving all new mail into queue. Drop all connections on the production server, close acces to this by firewall.
    Now do another final FullScan on the production server (to disk A).
    4) Do another restore on the new server (from disk A).
    5) Rewrote all DNS stuff. New requests must be going to the new server. Wait a minute to all DNS environment to flush.
    6) Flush MTA relay queue, that new mail will be deliver to the new server.

That's all, now our new server is working at production.

I see migration in this way.
    Last edited by anonymous0; 04-22-2014 at 08:38 AM.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello anonymous0!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous0 View Post
    Am i right, that we must to do:

1) FullScan operation on production server (assume it doing to disk A).
    2) DoExternalRestore operation from disk A on new server.

When we'll do FullScan operation again on production server to the same disk A (that contains data from previous FullScan), it'll be fast because only newer changes going to synchronize.
    And again, second DoExternalRestore operation from disk A on new server will merge only new data into already restored server, that must be also faster.

Am I on the right way ?
    100% correct!

Our full plan is here:

1) Do FullScan on production server (to disk A)
    2) Do restore on new server (from disk A).
    3) We had an MTA relay between Zimbra and internet. Now switch this relay to saving all new mail into queue. Drop all connections on the production server, close acces to this by firewall.
    Now do another final FullScan on the production server (to disk A).
    4) Do another restore on the new server (from disk A).
    5) Rewrote all DNS stuff. New requests must be going to the new server. Wait a minute to all DNS environment to flush.
    6) Flush MTA relay queue, that new mail will be deliver to the new server.

That's all, now our new server is working at production.
    Spot on again... If you wish you can even skip the relay change by running an additional Fullscan/Restore after step 5 - making sure that the new DNS settings have properly propagated before proceeding.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hello. I had a problem with first ExternalRestore operation. I mount backup volume as /mnt/data on new server and doing "zxsuite backup doExternalRestore /mnt/data". On /mnt/data zimbra user had access rights, i.e. I can su - zimbra and then read data from /mnt/data. But restoring fails immediately after start with error:

- exception -
    Unable to read server backup directory

How I can troubleshoot this?

Problem solved. I typed /mnt/data/zextras path and all running fine now. One more question.
    Some items restoring with error "Permission denied". That because different zimbra user uid in new system. I started recursive chown operation in another window before starting restoring.
    When chown will complete (it's in progress right now), I'm plain to restart restore. That will restore all items complitely, am I right?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Problem solved. I typed /mnt/data/zextras path and all running fine now. One more question.
    Some items restoring with error "Permission denied". That because different zimbra user uid in new system. I started recursive chown operation in another window before starting restoring.
    When chown will complete (it's in progress right now), I'm plain to restart restore. That will restore all items complitely, am I right?
    Hello anonymous0!

Yes, running an additional restore using the same import path will restore all items which have not been previously restored without changing other items in any way...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery