Migration Zimbra 6.0.8 to 8.0.6 the problem is big file
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migration Zimbra 6.0.8 to 8.0.6 the problem is big file

Migration Zimbra 6.0.8 to 8.0.6 the problem is big file

Migration Zimbra 6.0.8 to 8.0.6

Hi,

i have zimbra 6.0.8 ubuntu 8.0.6 server and i exported the migration file and moved to the new server zimbra 8.0.6 ubuntu 12.04

and i am trying to import and installed zextras after installation i started import . but my exported file is 270 GB when i try to import the file is getting 1.6 TB and my storage size finished. i have just 1 domain and 3571 accounts . i tried 2 times .
    The stored folder is 270 gb in old server but the new server the same file is bigger than 1.6 TB also it gives error cause of the there is no space on the storage .
    What is the problem or what am i doing wrong .

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello sueren,
    welcome to the forums!

I don't fully understand what happened: do you mean that the directory containing the Export of the source server grew to 1.6Tb after being copied to the destination server or is 1.6Tb the total used space on the filesystem?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

i have old server zimbra 6.0.8 on ubuntu 8.4 and i installed zxMig and export mig data it has 270 GB
    and i installed new server on ubuntu 12.4 zimbra 8.0.6
    and copy the migration file to the new server . it has 2TB storage also
    and i started export with zextras . but the data file is growing 2TB
    how is it possible that my data is 270 GB in my old server but the new server , it takes more than 2TB

Hello Sueren!

The data exported by ZeXtras Suite is compressed and deduplicated, so it's perfectly normal that the actual data take up to 30-40% more space than the backed up one.

Other things that might be taking up space during a migration can be:
    - RedoLogs: see HERE for more info.
    - ZeXtras Backup data: make sure to disable the RealTime Scanner, otherwise all imported items will be backed up by ZeXtras Backup taking up additional disk space.

I'd suggest you to check what directories on the server are taking up the majority of the space and to act accordingly...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello again !
    i checked what u told me but still almost same . may old server's folder is (/opt/zimbra/stored ) has 300 GB now and i exported witg ZxMig .Here is normal and i copy the file to the new server . and i disabled the RealTime Scanner (it was enabled) and i imported it . now the folder (/opt/zimbra/stored) has 1.2 TB and finished imported . and my question is is taht problem with zimbra version or zextras version . Or i am still making some mistake .

Hello Sueren!

By chance, was the source volume compressed or did you have any HSM policies set up?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

no i didnt . But i asked a friend of mine to help . also he did before the same versions of servers like me. from 6.0 to 8.0 but i said it was different zextras version but he coudn find which one . if i try also with old version . is it possible ? what u think about it. be cause he said , he just did and export from old and import to the new .
    And i did also same just export with Zxmig and import zextras backup . maybe i miss something . also where i read all . nobody didnt write any think like my problem . i think the problem is me

Hello sueren!

Could you please try run a deduplication on the primary Zimbra volume of the destination server and see if the situation gets better?
    Data exported by ZxMig and ZxBackup are compressed and deduplicated, but the deduplication might be lost during the import process due to how Zimbra's native deduplication system works.

For instance, a 1mb email sent to 3000 users will take 1mb in the old server and in the export path thanks to deduplication but can take up to 3000mb after the import (if Zimbra's native deduplication never kicks in)

The command to do so is:

Code:
    zimbra@test:~$ zxsuite powerstore doDeduplicate

Syntax:
       zxsuite powerstore doDeduplicate {volume_name} [attr1 value1 [attr2 value2...]]

PARAMETER LIST

NAME              TYPE           EXPECTED VALUES    DEFAULT
    volume_name(M)    String[,..]                       
    dry_run(O)        Boolean        true|false         false

(M) == mandatory parameter, (O) == optional parameter

Usage example:

zxsuite powerstore dodeduplicate secondvolume
    Starts a deduplication on volume secondvolume
    You can find the name of the volume in the ZxPowerstore tab of the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet or running

Code:
    zxsuite powerstore getAllVolumes
    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Question

Hi everyone,

We have started another migration operation with @sueren, the similar situation is happened again. The existing Zimbra's store is 387 GB with 3481 folders. Current
    Code:
    store
    folder size on destination server is 841 GB with 2931 folders and the import still goes.

@Cine

Should we execute the command you wrote now? Or is it late?

We would like to learn the proper of migration for the future. It takes too much time - current migration have been continuing for 54 hours.

We followed exactly same steps guided by Zextras on YouTube for both import & export.

ps.
    Code:
    Realtime scanner
    is already disabled.

Thanks for your care & time.
    All the best.

Hello talha06,
    welcome to the forums and sorry for the late response.

The deduplication can be executed at any time, but I'd avoid running it during an import in order to spare I/O resources. As I previously said, it's perfectly normal for the "after-import" size to be larger than ZxMig export, and I invite you to have a look at the info in post #2 to improve disk usage during the migration.

Have a nice day,Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast