Few Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few Questions

Few Questions

Someone tipped me off to this when I was looking for a sysadmin to handle a migration for me, looks like I could handle it myself easily with this. I do have a few questions though:

• Any problems going from 32 bit to 64 bit?
    • Any problems going from 7.0.2 to 8.0.4 (network edition, starter licence)
    • Will my commercial SSL cert be brought across?
    • Does the store have to be a mount, or can it just be a folder copied to the new server using rsync?

Finally, your docs say /virtually/ everything will be brought across but doesn't specify the exceptions, what would be left behind? In practice, will my user have any issues or will they be able to just login and continue on as they were?

Thanks,
    Adam

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Adam,
    welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post

• Any problems going from 32 bit to 64 bit?

• Any problems going from 7.0.2 to 8.0.4 (network edition, starter licence)
    Not at all, ZeXtras Suite is 100% OS, Arch and Platform independant.

• Will my commercial SSL cert be brought across?
    No, you will need to re-install the certificate on the destination server.

• Does the store have to be a mount, or can it just be a folder copied to the new server using rsync?
    Either way is fine, you will just need to choose the most appropriate for your case:
    - Remote mountpoint is good for large amounts of data on a fast network
    - rsync'd folder is good for small amounts of data or when the network is not fast enough to allow a proper access to the data

Finally, your docs say /virtually/ everything will be brought across but doesn't specify the exceptions, what would be left behind? In practice, will my user have any issues or will they be able to just login and continue on as they were?
    Server config will be backupped but not restored and you will need to manually re-apply commercial certificates and any postfix customization.
    To be more specific, ZxMig/ZeXtras Suite will migrate:

- User data (email, calendars, contacts, etc...)
    - User preferences
    - User Configuration
    - Domains
    - Classes of Service
    - Shares and external account informations

All mailboxes will be created at the beginning of the import operation, meaning that your users will be able to access the new server right away even if the migration is still running.

Depending on the amount of data you need to migrate, you might want to perform an Incremental Migration using ZeXtras Backup (the trial version is 100% good for this) instead of a "standard" migration with ZxMig.

Thanks,
    Adam
    You're welcome!
    Feel free to ask any question you might have about the ZeXtras Migration Tool, ZeXtras Suite and the migration process

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 07-15-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks very much Cine. My server has 11 users with an /opt/zimbra of 27GB, so I'm guessing that's small enough for a standard transfer, with rsync.

You say that the server config will be backed up but not restored, how will I go about restoring the config on the new server? Will the restoration overwrite the new server completely; i.e. do I need to worry about settings on the new server, or will the restoration make them redundant?

Thanks very much Cine. My server has 11 users with an /opt/zimbra of 27GB, so I'm guessing that's small enough for a standard transfer, with rsync.

You say that the server config will be backed up but not restored, how will I go about restoring the config on the new server? Will the restoration overwrite the new server completely; i.e. do I need to worry about settings on the new server, or will the restoration make them redundant?
    Hello Adam!

The server config won't be restored as it's too situational, while all the other config will be always restored (e.g. if a domain already exists, ZeXtras Suite will restore all domain settings from the original server to the existing domain)...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Ok, so I'll need to go through Zimbra Admin > Configuration > Server Settings and Zimbra Admin > Configuration > Global Settings and replicate them on the new server? Everything else should be ok?

Ok, so I'll need to go through Zimbra Admin > Configuration > Server Settings and Zimbra Admin > Configuration > Global Settings and replicate them on the new server? Everything else should be ok?
    Exactly!
    (well, except for what I wrote on my previous posts: SSL certs and Postfix customizations...)

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 07-15-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Ok, thanks for your help Cine.

Just a quick heads-up: not all server and global settings can be viewed from the Admin Console... the `zmprov getAllConfig` and `zmprov gs <mailbox-server.exmaple.com>` commands (as zimbra user) are your friend

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Excellent, thanks again.

Hi, same user here, can't remember the email address I used for my old account.

I think zxMig is a new addition since I posted, and it specifically says it'll bring across almost everything, does that include the config at this stage?

It also doesn't make clear how to export data on a running server, can I shut down services to prevent mail coming in during the process?

I'm not bothered about downtime, this is a private server, however I can't lose mail during the migration.

Thanks,
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast