ZeXtras or ZxBackup to minimize server migration downtime

Thread: ZeXtras or ZxBackup to minimize server migration downtime

ZeXtras or ZxBackup to minimize server migration downtime

Hello All,

Sorry my for my poor english.

We are user of ISP Zextras, but now we have to support a customer that has Zimbra OSE in his own server.

I want to minimize downtime for a migration from ZCS 6.0.6 to a ZCS 8.0.4 with 1200 accounts and 750Gb datastore

Import/export using ZxMigration seems to be a very slow process as I think I will have to wait exporting finish.

Is it possible to do this migration with ZxBackup?

1) Install ZxBackup on source server ZCS 6.0.6
    2) Do a previous full scan and keep server running with realtime backup until the day of migration
    3) Stop old server, point backup path of new server to path of old server and just start to restore backup on new server?

This way IŽll not have to wait for export downtime, just for import.

Any sugestions will be welcome! ;-)

Kind regards

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello jzardo,
    welcome to the forums!

The procedure you are looking for is called "Incremental Migration", and allows you to lower the downtime as much as possible (usually to zero) by using ZeXtras Backup on both the source and destination server.
    The complete process is described in the following ZeXtras Wiki article: ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki (also available in Portuguese).

On a sidenote, Zimbra 6.0.6 is not supported by ZeXtras Suite. If the source server is running Zimbra 6.0.6 I'd suggest to update Zimbra to the latest version available for that server's OS and Arch...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hi Cine,

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards

Jeff