Upgrade from Zimbra 6.0.4 with ubnutu 8.0.4 to zimbra 8.0.3 with ubnutu 12.4

Thread: Upgrade from Zimbra 6.0.4 with ubnutu 8.0.4 to zimbra 8.0.3 with ubnutu 12.4

ecb

Upgrade from Zimbra 6.0.4 with ubnutu 8.0.4 to zimbra 8.0.3 with ubnutu 12.4

Dear Forum we need some help with upgrading our system.

We have two Zimbra servers with Zimbra 6.0.4 network addition setup in multi-server where server A is the LDAP master and Server B is an LDAP replica.

Both servers hold a list in postfix denying specific users ability to send out email to external domains (only for internal sending).
    I know that after the upgrade postfix will no longer hold the lists and the new Zimbra server has the ability to block via Milter server.

Our main goal is to upgrade both servers to the latest zimbra version 8.0.3 but we will need to move to a new version of OS as well since we are running both on Ubuntu 8.0.4.

What is the best practice for doing this ?

Should I install two new fresh servers with Ubuntu 12.4 and Zimbra 6.0.4 , do a full recovery from backup and only then upgrade Zimbra ?

If so how should I upgrade Zimbra ? Incrementally from 6.0.4 to 6.0.5 and so on till i get to 8.0.3 or can I skip some versions getting directly to 8.0.3.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

ECB

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello ECB,
    welcome to the forums!

Informations and guides about Zimbra upgrading can be found in the Zimbra Wiki and Zimbra Forums (the Release Notes for each version include upgrade info too)...
    If you wish, instead, to migrate your data from your current 6.0.4 servers to two new Zimbra 8.0.3 servers running Ubuntu 12.04, you are in the right place!

The main difference between the two methods is that upgrading Zimbra and the underlying OS/Arch is much more difficult (and risky) but can be done on the production infrastructure, while migrating is definately easier but requires the creation of a new infrastructure.

If you wish to go with the migration route keep on reading
    Both ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Migration Tool require at least Zimbra 6.0.7 to be installed, so in your case the steps to follow would be:
    - Upgrade your current server to Zimbra 6.0.7+ (I suggest the latest 6.x version available for your current OS/Arch, which is Zimbra 6.0.15 - you don't need to perform any "in between" upgrade).
    - Install Ubuntu 12.04 x64 and Zimbra 8 on the new servers, then manually apply Server and Global Zimbra configuration.

2 Options now:
    "Direct" migration with ZeXtras Migration Tool
    -- Install the ZeXtras Migration Tool on all servers in the old infrastructure running the "mailboxd" service.
    -- Install ZeXtras Suite on all servers in the new infrastructure running the "mailboxd" service.
    -- Export your data from the old infrastructure following THIS GUIDE
    -- Move your data to the new infrastructure and start the import following THIS GUIDE

"Incremental" migration with ZeXtras Suite (takes a bit more but will avoid downtimes)
    -- Install ZeXtras Suite on all servers in the old infrastructure running the "mailboxd" service.
    -- Install ZeXtras Suite on all servers in the new infrastructure running the "mailboxd" service.
    -- Begin the migration process following this STEP BY STEP GUIDE

Feel free to browse the ZeXtras Wiki for all technical informations about ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Migration Tool and to ask any question you might have here on the forums!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Active Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Hello Cine,

I have a similar case.

My client wishes to purchase the Perpetual license for Zimbra 8.
    Currently he owns Zimbra 7.

See if I am correct:
    1. Install Zimbra Migraton Tools in the old infrastructure.
    2. Export data.
    3. Buy a perpetual license for Zimbra 8.
    4. Install ZeXtras Suite in the new infrastructure.
    5. Import the data.

Regards,
    Geraldo Goncalves
    NetSol

Hello Geraldo!

The steps you mention are correct, however I warmly suggest the "incremental migration" path mentioned in my previous post as it will allow you to avoid any downtime for your customer's users.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Hi Cine,

Does your migration options described above work both with Zimbra NE to Zimbra OSE?

Thanks and Regards,

Chombly

Quote Originally Posted by Chombly View Post
    Hi Cine,

Does your migration options described above work both with Zimbra NE to Zimbra OSE?

Thanks and Regards,

Chombly
    Hello Chombly,
    welcome to the forums!

Both the migration methods described in this thread will work from and to any supported OS/Arch/Zimbra Version regardless of the "Edition"...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website