Advice needed !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed !!!

Advice needed !!!

Hello Everybody !

My client has 4 individual servers running 7.x Zimbra with their respective roles as mentioned below.

Can any one let me know if i follow the tutorial of Zextra, can i migrate all individual server one by one to their respective upgraded server to ver.8.x of Zimbra ?

In short, Migrated all the 4 servers individually from ver.7 to ver.8 of Zimbra to another 4 server ?

Different server roles currently deployed :-

Master LDAP + Proxy + MTA
    LDAP Replica + MTA + Proxy
    Mailstore + Logger Active Node
    Mailstore Standby

Can anybody suggest, is it possible to do this with ZeXtra ?

Thank you

Hi systemali and welcome to the forums.

In a multi server enviroment, ZeXtras Suite needs to be installed only on (active) MailStore server. If you have only one (active) MailStore, the migration process is indentical to a single server migration.

With the release of zimbra 8, Zimbra has removed support of RHCS, so if you are want an High Availability solution for MailStore, you have to look to the zimbra community and keep in mind that is indipendent and unsupported by zextras.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Question

Hello D0s0n,

I appreciate your response, But at the same time i am now confused

When you mention RHCS, i assume you mean ( Red Hat Cluster Server ), Hence you mean "Cluster" in Zimbra 8 is not supported, am i correct?

Secondly, when you mention "MailStore or MTA", you mean it is "Zimbra" ? Hence, In the very first line you have mentioned
    "If you have only one (active) MailStore, the migration process is identical to a single server migration"
    , What does this mean ?

Can i install "ZeXtras" on each Individual server one-by-one and have them replicated over to the new server ?
    Or
    What is the best option you would suggest i do in this scenario ?

Please guide me in the best possible manner.

I am sure, my query above is confusing, But that is the best i could describe my query at the moment

Thank you for your time.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Systemali!

I'll try to clarify the situation a bit:

ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Migration Tool perform a high-level migration of items and configurations from a Zimbra server to another.
    Namely, the migration process will transfer:
    - All mailbox items (emails, calendars, address books, tasks, briefcases, saved searches) and item attributes (flags, tags, folder colors)
    - Mailbox relations (share rights and mountpoints)
    - Account preferences and settings
    - Classes of Service
    - Domains

The migration through ZeXtras Suite and/or the ZeXtras Migration Tool is not a low level server-by-server "mirror copy" and it does not restore Server and Global configurations, so in order to migrate your infrastructure you need to set up each server for its role(s) before migrating the data.

ZeXtras Suite must be installed on all mailstores in order to import the data and it's designed to work on all "standard" multiserver setups, but the "Active/Standby" mailbox nodes you refer in your description might be an issue, since the only officially supported way to achieve such setup (Red Hat Cluster Server as you correctly supposed) has been discontinued by Zimbra.

This opens 2 different scenarios for your case:
    1 - You are achieving the Active/Standby mailstore setup with RHCS on Zimbra 7.x.
    2 - You are achieving the Active/Standby mailstore setup with another method (such as DRBD).

The way forward depends on the specific case, thus we need more informations on how you achieve your Active/Standby setup before being able to give you a proper advice.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello cine,

Thank you for your prompt response.

To answer your question, The setup will be in an 'HA' mode. Where in both the servers will be online and if the primary server goes
    down the secondry will take over.

I believe Zimbra does facilitate HA mode, Please correct me if i am wrong.

Also this should not be an issue as we are only concerned about migration, Once the data is moved over to the destination server
    Zextra will have no further role, am i correct ?

Awaiting your response and guidance.

Have a great day !

Quote Originally Posted by systemali View Post
    Hello cine,

Thank you for your prompt response.

To answer your question, The setup will be in an 'HA' mode. Where in both the servers will be online and if the primary server goes
    down the secondry will take over.
    Hello systemali!
    How do you achieve this HA mode? This information is crucial in order for us to be able to help you...

I believe Zimbra does facilitate HA mode, Please correct me if i am wrong.
    It did until Zimbra 8 through RHCS, right now the only "official" HA is the one performed by ESXi (but it's not the case we are talking about)

Also this should not be an issue as we are only concerned about migration,
    It might be an issue for the migration process...

Once the data is moved over to the destination server
    Zextra will have no further role, am i correct ?
    ZeXtras Suite does a lot more than just migrations, it's your choice wether to stop or continue using it on the new server

Awaiting your response and guidance.

Have a great day !
    You too, have a great day!
    Cine

Question

Hello Cine ,

Thank you for your continued responses, please find my answers to your query inline below :-

>>How do you achieve this HA mode? This information is crucial in order for us to be able to help you...
    We will be using the HA that comes along with Redhat servers. It is installed and setup when setting up the server.
    Also Please elaborate your query so that i can answer much better.

>>It did until Zimbra 8 through RHCS, right now the only "official" HA is the one performed by ESXi (but it's not the case we are talking about)
    You mean, cluster was supported prior to Zimbra 8 and NOT in version 8, correct ? and also when you say ESXi, that is Vmware, What does that have to do with zimbra ? ( Although i know zimbra is a VM product now )

>>ZeXtras Suite does a lot more than just migrations, it's your choice wether to stop or continue using it on the new server
    Would highly appreciate if you could guide me or direct me to read or see, what else can i achieve from ZeXtra suite

Have a great day!

Hello Cine ,

Thank you for your continued responses, please find my answers to your query inline below :-
    Hi!

We will be using the HA that comes along with Redhat servers. It is installed and setup when setting up the server.
    Also Please elaborate your query so that i can answer much better.
    You mean, cluster was supported prior to Zimbra 8 and NOT in version 8, correct?
    Exactly, this kind of HA support has been discontinued and it's not available anymore in Zimbra 8.
    I'm afraid you'll have to rethink your Zimbra infrastructure a bit, but the good news is that I see no issues in using ZeXtras Suite to perform your migration! Check out ZeXtras Suite Installation Guide - ZeXtras Suite Wiki to see how to install ZeXtras Suite and ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki to see how to easily migrate your data with the lowest possible impact on your users.

and also when you say ESXi, that is Vmware, What does that have to do with zimbra ? ( Although i know zimbra is a VM product now )
    Nothing with Zimbra per-se, It's just a different HA approach I was trying to rule out from the situation

Would highly appreciate if you could guide me or direct me to read or see, what else can i achieve from ZeXtra suite
    I suggest you to begin with having a look at http://www.zextras.com/, each ZeXtras Suite module has a page with a description an a brief featurelist. The technical informations can be found at http://wiki.zextras.com.

Have a great day!
    You too, have a nice day!
    Cine

Hello Cine,

Thank you for such a marvelous response..it has cleared a lot of cloud from my mind

I may ping back with further queries,,

Thank's a million

Cine,

If i use the 30 day trail version of the 'ZeXtras Suite package' and accomplish my migration, Do i still need to buy the license after 30 days OR can i let go of it and hopefully i wont cause any issues in the smooth functioning of the server ?

Can you shed some light on this ?

ALTHOUGH, i believe i wont be needing any thing else besides the "ZeXtras Migration Tool" !!!

am i correct ?

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast