Using ZeXtras Migration with Zimbra Appliance
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Using ZeXtras Migration with Zimbra Appliance

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4

    Using ZeXtras Migration with Zimbra Appliance

    I see it's not supported. Can anyone tell me why? I thought to be sneaky and disable the check in the libs/functions.sh file but it still fails.

    Any chance we could get this to work somehow? I'm doing some testing right now and could help you get this working. There seems to be an increasing bit of interest for current ZCS customers who want to migrate to the 8.0 ZCA appliance.

    Thanks,
    Matt

  2. #2
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,362
    Hello chewie71,
    welcome to the forums!

    Quote Originally Posted by chewie71 View Post
    I see it's not supported. Can anyone tell me why?
    ZCA is designed as a black box with limited customizability, two concepts that really collide with ZeXtras' idea of expanding and empowering Zimbra.

    Quote Originally Posted by chewie71 View Post
    I thought to be sneaky and disable the check in the libs/functions.sh file but it still fails.
    You, sir, help me start my day the right way

    Quote Originally Posted by chewie71 View Post
    Any chance we could get this to work somehow? I'm doing some testing right now and could help you get this working. There seems to be an increasing bit of interest for current ZCS customers who want to migrate to the 8.0 ZCA appliance.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    I honestly don't think that ZCA will become a supported platform in the near future... It's surely an interesting option to keep an eye on, though!

    Have a nice day,
    Cine

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    ZCA is designed as a black box with limited customizability, two concepts that really collide with ZeXtras' idea of expanding and empowering Zimbra.
    OK well....if that's the business philosophy or something, and not just the technology that's getting in the way, that would keep you from supporting ZCA that's certainly your prerogative and I have no problem with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    You, sir, help me start my day the right way
    Considering the Appliance is just Ubuntu underneath with all the same capabilities as a regular ZCS install of Zimbra.....I thought it worth a try. If ZCA is not on your radar I was thinking that some hybrid cluster....with one ZCS migration server in the new ZCA environment....would work. A little extra trouble maybe....but none of the other built in migration tools from Zimbra have proven yet that they can correctly migrate shares and such without breaking them...and we have a LOT of sharing going on. I'd have to program it all myself if I can't find the right tool to do the job.


    One question about licensing. The migration tool is free, but the backup tool (in the suite) that needs to be installed on the import side is only free for a 30 day trial. So If I use the migration tool....I have 30 days to complete it with the trial license? Or is there some special dispensation for migration tool users?

    Thanks Again!

    Matt

  4. #4
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie71 View Post
    One question about licensing. The migration tool is free, but the backup tool (in the suite) that needs to be installed on the import side is only free for a 30 day trial. So If I use the migration tool....I have 30 days to complete it with the trial license? Or is there some special dispensation for migration tool users?

    Thanks Again!

    Matt
    Hi Matt,

    there are no dispensations for ZxMig users, but if you need an extension to your trial license in order to complete your migration you can contact the sales team through THIS FORM in order to request an Extended Trial License

    Have a nice day,
    Cine

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •