'live' Zimbra to Zimbra replacement migration -- how to configure IP/hostnames?

Thread: 'live' Zimbra to Zimbra replacement migration -- how to configure IP/hostnames?

pgn

Question 'live' Zimbra to Zimbra replacement migration -- how to configure IP/hostnames?

Hello,

I'm preparing to migrate from a Zimbra 7.2 + Ubuntu 10 LTS server to a new Zimbra 8 + Ubuntu 12 LTS server.

I DL'd for the 1st time the Zextras Suite. It's installed (in 30-day trial mode) on the v7.2 server and apparently operational.

I'd like to migrate 'live' -- with as little as possible downtime of mail service as possible. Preferably, zero.

I've been reading what I think is the correct guide for this procedure:

ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

The target, v8 Zimbra server will be a _replacement_ for the v7.2 instance.

It will have the same IP address, hostname and SSL certificates associated with / assigned to it.

Since, for the purposes of the 'live' migration, both servers need to be 'online' and on the same network -- what's the right procedure for not having an IP address / hostname "conflict". I.e., both boxes can't have the same IP/name on the same segment at the same time, right?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello pgn!

While the source and destination server do not need to be online at the same time for a migration, it is an essential requirement to obtain the "Zero Downtime" scenario.

Assuming you are running in a Virtual environment, I'd do the following:

- Create a new virtual network you will use to transfer the data (use a different IP Class than the one of the real LAN)
    - Create a new virtual Ethernet Card on each server and connect those to the dummy network
    - "Disconnect" the first Ethernet Card on the destination server (e.g. if using Vmware ESX/i right click on the VM, click Edit Settings, select the first network card, uncheck the "Connected" and "Connect at startup" boxes.
    - Configure the destination server's network card (which is now disconnected) with the same settings as the source's one.
    - Perform the migration.
    - Instead of running Step 7 of the guide you linked, simply "disconnect" the first ethernet card on the source server and connect the one on the destination.
    - Complete the migration.

This way, the servers will always have a way to communicate even if one of the two is not on the "production" lan (so you don't have to worry about IP concurrency)...
    Before the "switch" you need to make sure that the mail queues on the source server are empty, so I suggest you to use iptables to block incoming traffic for port 25 some minutes before actually switching the servers.

If you don't want to set up an additional virtual network, you can simply move the Virtual Disk on which the exported data is saved back and forth between the servers instead of transferring the data through the network... Basically it's up to your personal preference

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

pgn
    Thanks for the virtual-network idea. I had't thought of that -- should be straightforward.

> Configure the destination server's network card (which is now disconnected) with the same settings as the source's one.

To be clear, even if using the VirtualNetwork idea, as above, with different VirtualIPs, the two hosts -- source & target -- can/should be configured to have the same host*name* -- for machine name and certificate installation ... correct?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Correct
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery