Exporting backup data to CIFS Share

Thread: Exporting backup data to CIFS Share

Exporting backup data to CIFS Share

Hello,

Due to the last problems I had with a CIFS share I decided to ask first then try. (link)

On the incremental migration guide it says to mount an external device to the live server and run an export. Can I export to a CIFS share? If not how should I mount the windows share in order to have a case-sensitive filesystem.

Thank you for your help on this,
    Paul.

Wise Guy Participant
    Hello Paul.

As learned from your previous experience, exporting to a case-insensitive CIFS share is not supported, since we employ a case-sensitive directory hierarchy for storing data. And from that time we introduced a case-sensitivity check for the path used for the export, bailing out if that volume turns out not to be case-sensitive.
    As for case-sensitive mount options, the mount.cifs(8) man page contains an option to force case insensitivity, since a case-sensitive mount is requested by default if the remote server supports it.
    Whether the server, and the underlying file system, allow for a case-sensitive CIFS share, well, that's another story. We have no information on how to enable that feature on the windows machine.

An alternative you might investigate is activating an NFS share on your windows machine. A quick Google search seems to suggest that such an option should provide case-sensitivity, although I don't know since which Windows release or if a particular version or licensing is required.

Trantor
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

ZeXtras System Administrator and Installer Guru

Thank you for your reply,

I have directly installed another machine in LAN with the live one and setup two share points:

1. In a CIFS share on a windows machine
    2. A sshfs share on target machine.

Also I have created a cron job that stops realtime scanner, tars zextras data store starts realtime scanner and moves the tar archive on the CIFS share, this way the corect folder structure will be preserved (am I right?)

I will use the sshfs to migrate data from one installation to another.

I am currently testing out the performance of this build and if everything goes well I will reconsider a license

Wise Guy Participant
    Hello again.

Just a couple of notes. There's no need to stop the realtime scanner before you start tarring the directory, since leaving it running will not cause inconsistencies in your archive. You will not get a point-in-time snapshot of the ZeXtras directory, but leaving the realtime scanner disabled means that you would then be unable to restore, for instance, e-mails arrived to your system and deleted by a user if all that occured during the window of time when the realtime scanner was inactive.

As for your question, a tar archive preserves the original structure intact, as you assumed. Of course making a tar archive and then uploading it to another machine, especially if you have a sizable amount of data to archive, is not exactly the best when it comes to time required and overall speed.

Also I am not sure I understand what you need the sshfs mount for. An alternative to copying the data to the CIFS share? Of course, if the ssh server is a *nix machine, you might skip the generation of the tar archive that way.

Regards,
    Trantor
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

ZeXtras System Administrator and Installer Guru

Hello,

You understood everything well. I was planning to use the cifs share as a backup plan only if the sshfs would fail. I plan on using rsync to transfer all the data from he live machine onto the one I plan on migrating to. If the zextras data directory has 39GB of data, how much would it take to transfer using rsync on a 100 Mbit LAN?

Thank You,
    Paul.