Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements

Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements

Hi there.

I've found your migration tool and it looks perfect. I have a troublesome migration coming up, migrating from 5.0.10 NE.

I've got instructions from Zimbra about this, but it's long winded.

The general approach is:

Upgrade zimbra on our old server(so from 5.0.10 NE to 6.0.16 NE) on Ubuntu 6.06(old I know).

Once that's done, I can then do a 32 > 64 bit migration from 6.0.16 NE to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and 6.0.16 NE 64 bit.

I was hoping to use the Zextras migration tool, but after just trying to install it, it states:

The current Zimbra installation version doesn;t meet the minimum requirements to install ZeXtras successfully.

Is there anything I can do? I presume not? Because our server is so old, i'm worried about doing an upgrade on it, may kill Zimbra and leave me stuck.

Thanks

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello MercJones,
    welcome to the forums!

In order to install and run ZeXtras Suite and ZeXtras Migration Tool you need at least Zimbra 6.0.7. From what I can see in the Zimbra website version 6 still support your current OS and architecture up to the latest release, so it would be possible to upgrade Zimbra to a compatible version and then to move to the new OS/Architecture using the ZeXtras Migration Tool.

I share your feelings about the Zimbra upgrade and the only suggestion on this matter I can give you is to run some tests and to perform the migration only when you are perfectly comfortable with the process.

Regarding the actual migration process, some general hints are:
    - Run a coherency check on the Zimbra Database before migrating.
    - Run a permission fix command before migrating(just to be sure).
    - Run a filesystem check before migrating.
    - If your server runs on a virtual environment take a snapshot of the VM and its disks before you start.
    - Be sure to block access to all users when performing the migration.

Feel free to ask any Zimbra-related information you might in order to perform your migration (if you choose to do so).

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello MercJones,
    welcome to the forums!

In order to install and run ZeXtras Suite and ZeXtras Migration Tool you need at least Zimbra 6.0.7. From what I can see in the Zimbra website version 6 still support your current OS and architecture up to the latest release, so it would be possible to upgrade Zimbra to a compatible version and then to move to the new OS/Architecture using the ZeXtras Migration Tool.

I share your feelings about the Zimbra upgrade and the only suggestion on this matter I can give you is to run some tests and to perform the migration only when you are perfectly comfortable with the process.

Regarding the actual migration process, some general hints are:
    - Run a coherency check on the Zimbra Database before migrating.
    - Run a permission fix command before migrating(just to be sure).
    - Run a filesystem check before migrating.
    - If your server runs on a virtual environment take a snapshot of the VM and its disks before you start.
    - Be sure to block access to all users when performing the migration.

Feel free to ask any Zimbra-related information you might in order to perform your migration (if you choose to do so).

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Thanks for the quick reply Cine.

Yeah I agree, my first step is a migration to 6.0.16, but i'm worried about destroying that server.

I think i'm going to have to clone the existing VM(with zimbra on) and test the upgrade to 6.0.16 OR do a new installation totally(of 5.0.10 on ubuntu 6.06) and again do an update.

A worrying process though.

I think I will then use your tool to migrate from Zimbra 6.0.16 32 bit to 6.0.16 64 bit on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - will that work?

Thanks

Sure, both ZeXtras Migration Tool and ZeXtras Backup will allow you to move to another OS and architecture easily

A complete guide on the incremental migration (which is done using ZeXtras Backup on both servers and gives little to no downtime for the users) can be found at ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

The 5.0.10-to-6.0.16 is worrying indeed, but for what is worth I've done more than a couple of similar migrations and none end up in an unrecoverable mess

Feel free to ask any info you might need!

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Sure, both ZeXtras Migration Tool and ZeXtras Backup will allow you to move to another OS and architecture easily

A complete guide on the incremental migration (which is done using ZeXtras Backup on both servers and gives little to no downtime for the users) can be found at ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

The 5.0.10-to-6.0.16 is worrying indeed, but for what is worth I've done more than a couple of similar migrations and none end up in an unrecoverable mess

Feel free to ask any info you might need!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Well, any tips that won't leave me in an unrecoverable mess would be appreciated lol.

I've got that many guides and sets of instructions i'm beginning to go cross eyed..

Quote Originally Posted by MercJones View Post
    Well, any tips that won't leave me in an unrecoverable mess would be appreciated lol.
    Running the checks I suggested to make sure your data is coherent and consistent is surely a strong starting point, other than this all that I can suggest is: plan carefully, test extensively, execute flawlessly.

I've got that many guides and sets of instructions i'm beginning to go cross eyed..
    Personally, the sources I almost-blindly trust are:

- Zimbra official Docs in the Zimbra Wiki (Zimbra :: Wiki)
    - Ajcody's Notes in the Zimbra wiki (awesome docs, very clear and well written, Ajcody-Notes-Upgrade-Options - Zimbra :: Wiki might be a good starting point for your case)

Feel free to PM me the links to the guides you are currently checking, I'll do my best to point out the ones most suited for your case.

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Cine,

I have another query. Once I upgrade to 6.0.16(hopefully, on 32 bit), What steps do you recommend to migrate to a new server(ubuntu 10.04) and Zimbra 64 bit.

I was going to install 64 bit version of zimbra 6.0.16 on a new virtual machine, and do the 32 > 64 bit migration. Once thats done, I was intending to upgrade to Zimbra 7, but i'm wondering if this may be easier with your tool.

Also, regarding the amount of backup licenses(needed to restore). Do I need one for each license number(ie we have a 50 license account, but only use say 40 accounts).

Thanks

Cine,

I have another query. Once I upgrade to 6.0.16(hopefully, on 32 bit), What steps do you recommend to migrate to a new server(ubuntu 10.04) and Zimbra 64 bit.

I was going to install 64 bit version of zimbra 6.0.16 on a new virtual machine, and do the 32 > 64 bit migration. Once thats done, I was intending to upgrade to Zimbra 7, but i'm wondering if this may be easier with your tool.
    It would surely be easier with ZxMig/Zextras Suite as you would only need to setup a new server with Unbuntu 10.04 64bit, apply all basic configuration ("Server" configuration), export your data from the old server and import it on the new one. Domains, Classes of Service, Users, Distribution lists and aliases will be imported as they were on the old server along with all the user data and shares. See ZeXtras Migration Tool Guide - ZeXtras Suite Wiki for more informations on the migration process, and ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki for a step-by-step guide that will allow you to migrate your server without giving any downtime to your users.

Also, regarding the amount of backup licenses(needed to restore). Do I need one for each license number(ie we have a 50 license account, but only use say 40 accounts).

Thanks
    The number of licensed mailboxes must be equal or higher than the number of mailboxes on your server, excluding system resources like Ham, Spam and Quarantine.
    However if you just need to migrate, the ZeXtras Suite Trial will be enough as all of the features of ZxBackup (needed for the import) are included.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Last edited by Cine; 09-11-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Bad grammar is bad

For ZXMig, it says "Warning! When running in Trial Mode, you will not be able to import data exported more than 30 days from the current date."

so what is the license cost for this then, as I have email going back to 2008 at least.

Thanks

For ZXMig, it says "Warning! When running in Trial Mode, you will not be able to import data exported more than 30 days from the current date."

Thanks
    This warning means that you won't be able to import items EXPORTED more than 30 days ago, so you'll be able to import items from any date as long as the Export on the source server (ZxMig's Export or ZxBackup's External Backup) has been done less than 30 days ago.
    It's not a limit on the number of items exported

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast