Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements

Sure, if your new ip address is in the same subnet mask you can leave it like that.

Well guys, I did the migration on Friday night from 5.0.10 to 6.0.16. It went pretty smoothly so at least I'm now in a better position.

I have a few queries regarding the next stage, working with zextras. Apologies if any of these have been covered before:

Firstly, when using zeXtras, is there any permanant tie with zeXtras, i.e if I use it to do a migration to another server, am I tied for life with zeXtras? Not saying I wouldnt use it again in the future as I most likely will, I just like to know what's going on.

Also, you mentioned before about the licensing, licensing needs to be more than the mailboxes(including spam etc), but you say the trial will do this, do you mean I can simply do the trial to do this full migration at no cost or am I missing something here?

I assume the zeXtras tool does the same things(that you would have to do for a 32 > 64 architecture move, just a hell of a lot easier)?

Thanks!

You can uninstall any zextras software whenever you want. Just a note, if you used up your trial license for the backup product you will not be able to reuse it until you reinstall or migrate to a different server. The migration tool is free tho.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MercJones View Post
    Well guys, I did the migration on Friday night from 5.0.10 to 6.0.16. It went pretty smoothly so at least I'm now in a better position.
    Hello MercJones, glad to hear this!

I have a few queries regarding the next stage, working with zextras. Apologies if any of these have been covered before:

Firstly, when using zeXtras, is there any permanant tie with zeXtras, i.e if I use it to do a migration to another server, am I tied for life with zeXtras? Not saying I wouldnt use it again in the future as I most likely will, I just like to know what's going on.
    Absolutely no
    Once you're done with your migration you are free to uninstall all of the ZeXtras products for your servers. Neither ZeXtras Suite nor the ZeXtras Migration Tool bind to your data in any way.

Also, you mentioned before about the licensing, licensing needs to be more than the mailboxes(including spam etc), but you say the trial will do this, do you mean I can simply do the trial to do this full migration at no cost or am I missing something here?
    You got it 100% right, the 30-days trial has no limitations and allows you to perform your migration at no cost.

I assume the zeXtras tool does the same things(that you would have to do for a 32 > 64 architecture move, just a hell of a lot easier)?
    I don't get this question actually.
    If you are talking about the difference between the ZeXtras Migration Tool and ZeXtras Suite, well... ZeXtras Suite is a whole different world!

The "Import Backup" feature used for the migrations is just the tip of the iceberg, ZeXtras Suite (through its modules) provides a lot of additional features like real-time backup and restore, mobile synchronization through the Exchange Active Sync protocol and Hierarchical Storage Management. In the near future an integrated IM client and a Junior Admin Management system will be added.

Thanks!
    You're welcome!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Thanks for the answers, helpful as always!

When I migrated from 5.0.10 > 6.0.16 i basically cloned the server, and kept the hostname and ip's the same, so it made things a lot easier.

All the MX records i have point to the external IP of my router, which are then port forwarded to our servers internal IP address.

I'm wondering for this next migration if it will be easier to change the ip/maybe hostname. Any advantages/disadvantages you can think of, would this make things more difficult when using zeXtras?

One final thing, if you remember, you said "It would surely be easier with ZxMig/Zextras Suite as you would only need to setup a new server with Unbuntu 10.04 64bit, apply all basic configuration ("Server" configuration), export your data from the old server and import it on the new one."

Is the server config everything in the xml file, or do you have a method to get this off the old system some how?

Thanks

Hello MercJones!

Changing the hostname of a running Zimbra server (of the clone in your case) is a big no-no, as the hostname is saved in multiple places in the Zimbra configuration and changing it can be a real pain.
    Should you want to change the hostname I suggest you to create a new VM with the new hostname and proceed with a fresh Zimbra install, using ZeXtras Suite to import your data afterwards.

Regarding the server configuration, ZeXtras Suite backups it for reference purpouse only and makes it available to see through the ZeXtras CLI:
    Code:
    zxsuite backup getServerConfig last /your/backup/path
    For security reasons, however, it is not possible to automatically restore it.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello MercJones!

Changing the hostname of a running Zimbra server (of the clone in your case) is a big no-no, as the hostname is saved in multiple places in the Zimbra configuration and changing it can be a real pain.
    Should you want to change the hostname I suggest you to create a new VM with the new hostname and proceed with a fresh Zimbra install, using ZeXtras Suite to import your data afterwards.

Regarding the server configuration, ZeXtras Suite backups it for reference purpouse only and makes it available to see through the ZeXtras CLI:
    Code:
    zxsuite backup getServerConfig last /your/backup/path
    For security reasons, however, it is not possible to automatically restore it.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Ok thanks Cine!

I think i'll make the new VM (install ubuntu 10.04 64 bit), Install Zimbra, install all of your recommended tools, and when I'm ready to do the migration i will change the IP address of my old server(keeping the same hostname), and will then set the new VM to be that same ip to save any problems.

P.S I've converted 2 random people in the Zimbra world in the last week to use zeXtras

Got a quick problem too, tried on my dev server - running the same OS/Same version of zimbra (ubuntu 6.06) and (Zimbra 6.0.16),i did:

[run this commands as Root]
    wget http://www.zextras.com/download/zext...ite-latest.tgz
    tar zxvf zextras_suite-latest.tgz
    cd zextras_suite-[version]
    ./install.sh all

It installed fine, with no problem. I go to zimbra admin, and as soon as I load it, it says "zeXtras Core Missing!"

Any suggestions please?

Got a quick problem too, tried on my dev server - running the same OS/Same version of zimbra (ubuntu 6.06) and (Zimbra 6.0.16),i did:

[run this commands as Root]
    wget http://www.zextras.com/download/zext...ite-latest.tgz
    tar zxvf zextras_suite-latest.tgz
    cd zextras_suite-[version]
    ./install.sh all

It installed fine, with no problem. I go to zimbra admin, and as soon as I load it, it says "zeXtras Core Missing!"

Any suggestions please?
    Hmmm, that is strange...
    What's the output of " ls -la /opt/zimbra/lib/ext/zextras/"?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hmmm, that is strange...
    What's the output of " ls -la /opt/zimbra/lib/ext/zextras/"?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Hi Cine,

Output is shown below:

root@zimbratest1:~# ls -la /opt/zimbra/lib/ext/zextras/
    total 820
    drwxr-xr-x 2 zimbra zimbra 4096 2012-10-01 16:50 .
    drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 2012-10-01 16:50 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 824701 2012-10-01 16:50 zextras.jar

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast