Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements

Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    Hi MercJones, Cine is in vacations, but maybe I can help you...

We usually prefer to use a simple script ipitables like this:
    Code:
    #Flush of all rules
    iptables -F
    #permit SSH access
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    #Permit local traffic
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -s 127.0.0.1/8 -j ACCEPT
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -s <LOCAL_IP> -j ACCEPT
    #Permit access from you workstation
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -s <YOUR_CLIENT_IP> -j ACCEPT
    #Block all Zimbra ports for incoming traffic
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m multiport --dport 25,80,110,143,443,993,995 -j REJECT
    #Block all Zimbra outgoing traffic
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --dport 25 -j REJECT

Yes, I can confirm this but I suggest to check also the postfix queue. When you sync the 2 installations postfix can have some messagges on deferred queue.

Ok or you can modify /etc/fstab file to mount the /opt partition with the noexec option if you are a little paranoid like me

I don't remember this, but I'm not running zimbra 6 for some time.

Good luck!

D0s0n
    Hi there, Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the iptables script, i will try that out.

Regarding the postfix queue, would you just flush it before doing the final sync, or something else?

Thanks

Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements

If the flush is not enough, you can move them in the deferred queue with postsuper command.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

If the flush is not enough, you can move them in the deferred queue with postsuper command.

D0s0n
    OK, will try that thanks.

One further thing, im going to install a PVM, and install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit.

I will be coming from Ubuntu 6.06 32 Bit, and Zimbra 6.0.16. What is the max/or safe step I can do with Zextras? Can I go directly from 32-64bit(i seem to remember cine saying I could, and at the same time move from 6.0.16 > whatever version you recommend onto the new 10.04 64 bit server?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MercJones View Post
    OK, will try that thanks.

One further thing, im going to install a PVM, and install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit.
    I've never used PVM before but I do not think it is suitable to make a Zimbra server... Are you sure about it?

I will be coming from Ubuntu 6.06 32 Bit, and Zimbra 6.0.16. What is the max/or safe step I can do with Zextras? Can I go directly from 32-64bit(i seem to remember cine saying I could, and at the same time move from 6.0.16 > whatever version you recommend onto the new 10.04 64 bit server?

Thanks
    There should be no problem to migrate directly to the last 7.2 version, but I have not tested enough to 7.2.1 to make sure that it is stable for a production enviroment. on the other hand I have not seen serious problems in the forums, the choice is yours ... Regarding Zextras is the same thing, it is always a change of major release with many important modifications.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

I've never used PVM before but I do not think it is suitable to make a Zimbra server... Are you sure about it?

There should be no problem to migrate directly to the last 7.2 version, but I have not tested enough to 7.2.1 to make sure that it is stable for a production enviroment. on the other hand I have not seen serious problems in the forums, the choice is yours ... Regarding Zextras is the same thing, it is always a change of major release with many important modifications.

D0s0n
    Well I thought it would be ok, why don't you think it would be suitable? I'm not sure about this, I just read that HVM is considerably slower than PVM. Also, our original Zimbra server is PVM Based(in the sense that it was a physical to virtual server migration).

This thread,post 2 is from someone who has done so: New installation on XEN, HVM or not?

also, post 2 of this one: Using Xen 4, any way to install network edition on debian?

So i'm not sure.

Is there a version 7 that you have tested at all? that you recommend?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Well I thought it would be ok, why don't you think it would be suitable? I'm not sure about this, I just read that HVM is considerably slower than PVM. Also, our original Zimbra server is PVM Based(in the sense that it was a physical to virtual server migration).

This thread,post 2 is from someone who has done so: New installation on XEN, HVM or not?

also, post 2 of this one: Using Xen 4, any way to install network edition on debian?

So i'm not sure.
    Hello MercJones!

I see there has been a little misunderstanding, you are talking about Xen PV, the "PVM" linked by D0s_0n is a completely different thing

Anyway, I'm far to be a Xen expert, but I think that it really depends on the configuration tweaking and underlying hardware, as on the net you can find a lot of conflicting opinions on this matter.

Is there a version 7 that you have tested at all? that you recommend?
    We currently use 7.2.0p1 on our production servers, it has proven a reliable version to work with.
    Both D0s_0n and me are a little "paranoid" on new releases (we usually test minors for 1-2 months before putting them in production), but in the end it's your choice

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello MercJones!

I see there has been a little misunderstanding, you are talking about Xen PV, the "PVM" linked by D0s_0n is a completely different thing

Anyway, I'm far to be a Xen expert, but I think that it really depends on the configuration tweaking and underlying hardware, as on the net you can find a lot of conflicting opinions on this matter.

We currently use 7.2.0p1 on our production servers, it has proven a reliable version to work with.
    Both D0s_0n and me are a little "paranoid" on new releases (we usually test minors for 1-2 months before putting them in production), but in the end it's your choice

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Ahh thanks for clearing that up, i see a fair few people using Xens PV virtual machines, not many for HVM, but i see most say PV is faster.

I'll probably move to the 7.2.0 as you recommend then because moving from 6.0.16 > that version is a big step, never mind the fact of moving the 32 > 64 bit.

Thanks

Out of interest, I don't suppose you have any advice regarding an IP change in Zimbra?

I've got a cloned server of my Zimbra server, and will be bringing this up on a different IP (such as 0.50 instead of 0.90), but does zimbra require me to do anything else for changing an ip?

This way, I can perform an upgrade of zimbra on a server with a different ip to the original, if this then works, I can just simply change it back to the old ip once all is ok?

Hello MercJones,

From my experience, if you change the IP address of your operating system and you need it's services to work and accept connections you need to modify:

RHEL:

/etc/hosts
    Change the old ip address line in this format:

IP FQDN ALIAS
    Example:

10.10.10.10 mail.example.com mail
    Also you might want to change your Trusted Networks that have Relay access on your server, you can do it via LDAP browser, Zimbra Admin pannel or zmprov.

su zimbra
    zmprov modifyServer zimbra.domain.com zimbraMtaMyNetworks '127.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.124/32'
    postfix reload
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by iamcypher View Post
    Hello MercJones,

From my experience, if you change the IP address of your operating system and you need it's services to work and accept connections you need to modify:

RHEL:

Change the old ip address line in this format:

Example:

Also you might want to change your Trusted Networks that have Relay access on your server, you can do it via LDAP browser, Zimbra Admin pannel or zmprov.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, steps noted.

I've just looked at my trusted networks, my server is 192.168.0.90 but the trusted network shows:

127.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0/24 10.0.1.0/24

So i assume I should be OK without changing it, as i'm keeping the subnet the same?

Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast